Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hummus



I love, love, love hummus and apparently I've passed this on to my daughter (She ate it dipped with fresh baked potato wedges today and she also likes to dip her macaroni and cheese in it!). So I decided one day that I wanted to make hummus from scratch, I mean, how hard could it be? Surprisingly, it's not that hard!


Click here to view the original recipe I used.

Now here is my version:
2 cups of freshly cooked garbanzo beans or 1 16 oz can of chickpeas drained
1/4 cup plain fat free yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
3 cloves of garlic (more or less depending on preference)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cumin

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend 3-5 minutes until mixed and smooth.

Serve with fresh vegetables, pita chips, fresh bread or even wheat thins. It's also great on sandwiches, or dipped in mac and cheese like my daughter!

This is a great dish for parties or to take to a potluck. Not much work at all.

On my amateur cooking difficulty scale, I rank this a 2. Reason being, I have to remember to soak the raw garbanzo beans the night before and then I have to wash the pressure cooker which is big and bulky. This is what loses it's 1 ranking status.  


2 comments:

  1. made this! awesome, everyone wanted the recipe...
    have you ever flavored hummus with anything else besides garlic?? smiles from chi-town

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chi-town girl!

    So glad you tried it!

    Garlic is essential in hummus, you can always do less if you don't like it. Also, you could add a little paprika, pine nuts or even before you serve place a dollop of olive oil in the center.

    =)

    ReplyDelete