Monday, September 19, 2011

Applesauce


When Bamibino was an infant I made all her baby food from scratch. It was pretty easy, cut fruit/vegetable, cook in pressure cooker then blend. Remembering these old days (or not so old) I decided to make applesauce from scratch. (And maybe because apples were on sale). Bambino is starting to get tired of eating the same foods day in and day out, so I'm having to be inventive but with little effort for my own sanity.

I looked up applesauce recipes and was impressed at how easy it was to make and how similar it is to making baby food. (Or maybe that should have been obvious?)

The smell of the applesauce cooking was similar to apple pie. (Perhaps because of the sugar?) The house smelled very patriotic for the 30 minutes the applesauce was cooking. And the taste was amazing! So, so much better than jarred applesauce. I don't think I could go back to the jarred kind!  My views on applesauce have completely changed.

I basically stuck to the recipe, except that I had to change the apple to water ratio than was listed and also added some lemon juice.


Ingredients:
3 apples- peeled, cored and chopped (I used granny smith apples because they are my favorite, but you could use any that you like)
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
juice of 1/2 of a lemon

Directions

1. In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar and cinnamon.

2. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20-30 minutes, or until apples are soft. (Keep an eye on them! Cooking time will vary. The recipe said 15-20 minutes, but mine took longer) Allow to cool, then mash with a potato masher.

3. Cool and consume!

Amateur cooking difficulty scale: 1
This was ridiculously easy. The most amount of work is prepping the apples.

I already made this twice and it's safe to say I will make it a third time! And don't think it's just for kids. I devoured a bowl of it myself. You can mix it with vanilla yogurt and makes for a heartier dish. Or even add to a topping on ice cream!

2 comments:

  1. I did same with my bambino.And still I don't let my 2 year old near Yunk food:) My parents did the same with me and I am not missing it a bit;)

    ReplyDelete