Friday, September 2, 2011

Blueberry Chocolate Chip Cookies


As Cookie Monster would say, "C is for Cookie that's good enough for meeee." I love me some cookies and so do Bambino and Hubby. Whenever I make the Nestle Tollhouse oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (Everytime I think of Nestle Tollhouse I think of the Friends episode when Monica tried to recreate Phoebe's grandmother's cookies which she claimed she got from her French grandmother, Nestle Toulouse.) we devour them in days, even when I double the recipe!

As was the case with the cherries last week, when I was left with two boxes of blueberries (Bambino spent the summer consuming blueberries in mass quantities then woke up one morning pursing her lips and closing her eyes to the mere sight of blueberries) I was desperate with what to do with them. I must say, blueberries are probably the only fruit I don't care for. I'm not sure what it is. I think when they are at their best and sweetest they are good, but otherwise I find them to be dry and lacking much flavor. Why Bambino loved them so, I don't know?

So off I was to find something to do with the blueberries. I didn't want to make the usual blueberry muffins, which was about all I could find. And then I stumbled upon blueberry brown sugar cookies. Mmmm! And I'll just add some chocolate chips and pecans to this recipe and it will be some good stuff. And that it was!

As usual when I bake, I added oil instead of butter, and less of it. There was only one egg, so I stuck with that. As I said, I also added chocolate chips and pecans.

Click here for the original recipe

Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon milk
3/4 cup fresh blueberries (I think next time I will cut the blueberries into pieces because I didn't like biting into whole pieces of blueberries. I would have preferred small chunks, about the size of the chocolate chips)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add in cinnamon, place the bowl to the side.

3. Beat oil and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla and continue mixing.

4. Add in flour mixture. Mix until dough is formed. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together. (Because there is less oil, I added about 3-4 tablespoons of milk until it turned into a very thick cookie batter)

5. Fold in blueberries, chocolate chips and pecans.

6. Refrigerate 30 minutes. (Not sure why you do this, but I refrigerated for about 15 minutes)

7. Remove from fridge and form cookies into about 1 1/2 inch balls. (I thnk this is where the refrigeration helped because I was able to use both my hands to form round balls with the dough. Something you are not usually able to do with cookie dough)

 8. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 5
It takes some time to make cookies. I prefer making cakes and bread better becasue once the batter is done you just pour it into a pan and bake. With cookies, you have to take the time to drop the dough into balls and sometimes I just get lazy.

These were such great cookies! The next time blueberries are on sale I'll be making these!

Do you think the cookies would be better if the blueberries were cut into pieces?

1 comment:

  1. going to try these this weekend!!!
    smiles from chi-town

    ReplyDelete