Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo


My parents spent some time living in Louisiana before I was born, so it was there that my mother perfected the traditional, N'awlins style Gumbo. She has the roux down pat along with the right seasoning. If true authentic, canjun style gumbo is what you're looking for, then this is not the recipe for you. But if you are looking for a simple replica of the same dish with the same basic flavors, then this is for you! 

Hubby found this recipe in the Martha Stewart book I checked out from the library. He had mentioned making it a couple of times and I forgot. So when I asked him to pick out some recipes he reminded me how he really wanted to try the gumbo recipe. Oh yeah, I forgot! So off I was to make this recipe. I do recall my mother making the dish when I was  younger and I would eat the broth and vegetables with rice and picked out the meat and shrimp. I actually liked the flavor of the broth. I remember that when my mom made the dish it seemed like such an arduous task so I was hesitant try the dish but the recipe does say it can be done in 30 minutes! Rocco Dispirito would probably disagree that this could be done in 30 minutes considering on his show Rocco's Dinner Party he really let one of the contestants have it for making Jambalaya in 30 minutes and not letting the roux slowly boil and build flavor, but I'm not cooking for Rocco and let's be honest his show tanked as did his previous one The Restaurant. Oh! And I checked out one of his cookbooks from the library and there wasn't one recipe of interest in there. When it comes to Italian chefs, I'll stick with Giada. Wow. How did I get on this tangent? Oh yes, so gumbo in 30 minutes I shall make and Rocco can hate it all he wants.

The dish was pretty simple to make. I did cook and marinade the chicken when it called for using precooked chicken. I also added in some more vegetables.I served it along side rice and homemade cornbread. Hubby loved it and so did Bambino. I took a couple of bites of the vegetables and broth and thought it came out really well. Next time I'm going to have to try a vegetarian gumbo.


Ingredients
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into pieces
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
1/3 cup flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ear of corn, kernels chopped off
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
10 pieces of okra, chopped 
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 package of precooked lean turkey sausage, cut into pieces
rice and/or cornbread for serving (optional)

Directions
1 Marinade the chicken with chili powder, cumin, 2 cloves garlic, salt and pepper. Refrigerate over night. (You can skip this step and just use precooked chicken)

2. In a pot sprayed with cooking spray, add turkey and cook turkey on medium high for 10 minutes, constantly moving. Remove turkey from pan.

3. In same pan add the in the chicken and saute until browned on all sides. Remove chicken. Once cooled, chop into smaller pieces.

4. In the same pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly until pale golden, 5-7 minutes.(The roux!)

5. Stir in onion, garlic, bell pepper, corn and okra. Add salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are cooked though, 10-12 minutes.

6. Add 2 cups chicken broth and 2 cups water; stir in chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool and serve with rice and/or cornbread.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 5
This is a pretty easy one, not too much work. It's almost a one pot dish, you just have to make some rice to eat along with it or don't make rice if you're anti-carb. (I, of course, am not.)

I will definitely be making this one again. It was a big hit in the household so definitely going into heavy rotation! 

3 comments:

  1. I think gumbo is so good. This sounds pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ingredients in your gumbo and the quick part on the roux-I will need to try. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tried this combination..gumbo:))

    ReplyDelete