Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cinnamon Candied Cashews


Mmmm. Nuts. Like Marc Zuckerburg and his Addidas sandals, like Carrie Bradshaw and her circa 2000 flower lapel and like the Kardashians and their athletic boy toys, that is I with nuts, something I just cannot live without. As a vegetarian it is the one protein that I must consume. Whether they are pecans in a banana bread, peanuts in thai salad or hazelnuts in Nutella, I like it all, no matter how it comes.  I'll eat every nut out there no matter how you serve it, but there is one particular nut that is my arch nemesis. That would be the macadamian nut. I love all things Hawaiian, but I think that the Hawaiian center of tourism should keep macadamian nuts on the down low. I just don't understand them. They are like Hawaii's imitation crab in a california roll. All is good, but then  you have to add that faux seafood and it ruins a perfect piece of vegetarian yumminess.

So I actually came across a recipe for cinnamon candied cashew and chocolate chunk cookies. I was drawn to the recipe because while I have eaten cashews in many savory and sweet dishes, I had never had them in a cookie! I felt I must make the cookie right away. I looked at the recipe and went out the door to buy cashews. (I did have some cashews at home that my mother had brought back from India, but Indian cashews are so good, so fresh that I didn't want to tamper with such simple, greatness. Instead, I chose to buy H-E-B cashews from the bulk food aisle.) I made the cashews right away and figured I would make the cookies the next day. Well. These cashews came out amazing. I mean, wow. I love nuts, but sugary candied nuts?! You just can't go wrong! Bambino even had a few pieces and fell in love. For now, I'm not sure if I want to make the cookies because I am enjoying consuming these cashews on their own!

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
8 ounces raw cashews
2 ounces brown sugar (1/4 cup)
2 ounces white sugar (1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2. Whip together water and egg white until light and frothy. (I used a hand whisker for this.)

3. Add in the cashews and mix until completely coated.

4. Add in brown sugar, white sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix to coat.

5. Spread cashews on a greased baking sheet.

6. Bake 30 minutes and stir once.

7. Let cool completely. Break apart any pieces that are stuck together.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 1
Super duper easy and oh so good! This is a good one to make if you're having a party and need a little something to be sitting on the counter. Perfect for the holiday parties!

Definitely going to make them again. Still undecided about the cookies. I wish I made more so I could make cookies and have excess to munch on.

No comments:

Post a Comment