Thursday, September 22, 2011

Cornbread


When I made the chicken and sausage gumbo the other day I asked Hubby if he wanted to make cornbread along with it, as showed in the recipe book. I caught my words after they came out because I remember Hubby telling me on numerous occasions that in high school he worked at a restaurant that served cornbread and he would often eat the superfluous amounts of leftover edges from the pans (those not appropriate for customers) and thus has an aversion to cornbread to this day. Suprisingly, Hubby responded to my question with a simple No, that's ok. Rice will be fine. As the day went on I couldn't get the thought of that cornbread out of my head. I, on the other hand, enjoy me some cornbread. There is a specific restaurant in town (A steak house that I love, I know I'm a walking paradox. And no, I don't get the steak.) that serves warm, fresh rectangular pillows of yellow yumminess that I love. As the minutes passed on my sweet craving and need for cornbread just couldn't diminish. So while Hubby couldn't stand the sight of cornbread, I had to have it!

I looked up cornbread recipes and saw just how simple they were to make and that I had all the ingredients in the house! So I made a batch of the cornbread and they quenched my need for the bread of corn and all was good on my palate. Bambino loved her some cornbread as well. And Hubby ate some too! Apparently he wasn't as averse to the wife-proclaimed aversion as I thought. His response was Where's the corn? Isn't that what makes it cornbread? No, my sweetheart. It would be the use of cornmeal that makes it called cornbread.

So we all stuffed ourselves with some cornbread and still have plenty left. If you like cornbread, go make this. 


Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a square shaped baking pan with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl sift flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder. Add in sugar.

3. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil. 

4. Bake in preheated oven 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty  Scale: 2
This is truly an easy one. I can literally say that I threw this together on a whim and met all of my cornbread expectations.

I'll definitely be making this one again the next time I have a need for cornbread. 


1 comment:

  1. This sounds so comforting. I think I am ready for a big slice of corn bread and some of my moms best soup ever. Crock pot and this recipe here I come!

    ReplyDelete