Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cottage Cheese Pancakes


On Sunday morning when Bambino woke up bright and early at 5:45 am, for some reason I was anxious to try a new recipe for her breakfast. I'm a morning person, so to be up and diddling around the kitchen at an early hour is much more likely than for me to be doing the same at 9pm. (Don't judge.) I was browsing through a recipe book on Saturday. (Have I mentioned that I returned to the library and checked out 9 more cookbooks?) and came across this recipe for cottage cheese pancakes. (Ok, I should give credit where credit is due. Hubby did find the recipe.) Anyways, I thought I'd give them a try. I've made pancakes for Bambino in the past, but I had made eggless pancakes because due to allergen purposes, she wasn't to consume eggs prior to the age of one. For some reason I thought I'd give them a try again, despite the fact that she had been fickle with pancakes in the past. I just couldn't fathom how she could say no to warm, doughy, delicious frisbees of yumminess!  Also, Hubby was still asleep so I thought that perhaps the smell of pancakes would wake him? (Here's hoping!) 

So off to work I was on the pancakes. I had bought cottage cheese a week ago to give as a snack to Bambino, but I had yet to feed them to her, so here was the chance to use them. Hubby likes cottage cheese, so I knew he would like these pancakes. (That and the fact that he requested I make them sometime.) Personally, I was a little skeptical with the cottage cheese because I don't care for cottage cheese. (Are you picking up the pattern that anything Hubby likes I don't like and vice versa?) Apparently, the side note in the cookbook stated that cottage cheese is used to make the pancake fluffier. (I suppose similar to buttermilk?) Well, the pancakes were approved by all three of us. They tasted really good, were really fluffy and I couldn't taste the cottage cheese at all! (But I could see the balls of cheese in the pancakes. Weird.) 

Since I don't keep syrup in the house I wanted to make a fruit sauce to eat along with it, but didn't have any ingredients for it. (The book called for a rhubarb compote which next time I shall make!) I treated Bambino and let her eat it with some fat free cool-whip and Hubby ate it with honey. I ate it as is. (I didn't eat it until after my workout and so they were cold, but still delish!)

If you have only used prepackaged pancake mix I highly recommend you try them from scratch. It really doesn't take that much work. I bake a lot, so I always have flour, baking soda and baking powder in the fridge, so there was nothing to buy. Also, it gave me a chance to use my griddle for the first time! I received it as a wedding present  years ago and it was just sitting in my pantry. I was able to make all 8 pancakes at once!

I obtained this recipe from the book Everyday Food: From the Kitchens of Martha Stewart Living. Now, I am no Martha Stewart fan. Can't tell you why. I've never watched her show nor tried any of her recipes, but she has some kind of stoic, or maybe callous demeanor that makes me have no interest in her. But she has a million dollar empire, so she must know food? The only reason I picked up the book from the library is because Bambino was running around and I had limited time to pick up books and judged them by their cover. (Hmm...)


Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup cottage cheese (I used low-fat)
2/3 cup milk
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
PAM cooking spray (or brand equivalent)

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in cottage cheese, milk, egg whites and vanilla.

2. In a large skillet (or griddle!), spray with PAM cooking spray over medium heat. Drop batter into pan, 1/4 cup per pancake. (Depending on size of your pan, will depend on the amount of pancakes you make at once.)

Working the griddle

3. Cook each pancake until just set around the edges and bubbles appear on top. (Should take about a minute) Then flip pancake and cook on other side until just set in the center. (Another 1 to 2 minutes more) Transfer to plate and cool.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
Seriously, making pancakes from scratch is really easy and taste so good! This doesn't take much work to do. I wouldn't mind even mind making them for Hubby in the morning before leaving for work, but he prefers his habitual yogurt breakfast. So for now, this is just a weekend dish.

Easy peasy. Definitely making it again! 

3 comments:

  1. Hey TG... thanks for the recipe! When I saw this today I thought it was the perfect post-weightlifting meal. I got back from the gym at 9pm this evening and used my prepackaged pancake mix (didn't have time/energy to do it from scratch like your recipe) and added 3/4 cup cottage cheese, one scoop of casein protein, and one scoop of whey protein (to amp up the protein to carb ratio). It ended up being super thick so I had to water it down. But the finished product was awesome! Lucky for me I had some sugar-free syrup and margarine... I am writing this after consuming the entire batch, and I am stuffed!!!!!

    Here is a pic of my finished product. Not anywhere near as aesthetically pleasing as yours... but it still tasted good.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/photoum.jpg/

    Please keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Me!

    I could imagine that it came out thick with all that you added to it. Sounds like water cut it down well. You could have also added milk to cut it down.

    Thanks for checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed with your blog! Definitely an over-achiever! Taking care of little ones can be so challenging, but I hope to find time to cook up some of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete