Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mini Farfalle with Chickpea, Tomato and Mint


I created this culinary marvel (Modest, I know) on the fly one day when I was desperate for a fresh dinner dish. It was 4:30, Bambino usually eats at 5 and I didn't want to feed the poor girl a sandwich for dinner (She prefers hot meals. And if she eats light for dinner, she's up bright and early ready for a warm breakfast. Cheerios and milk don't cut it for her.). I scoured the fridge and saw that I had some chickpeas leftover from having cooked some the day before, some cherry tomatoes and some fresh mint from my mother's garden. I decided to combine it all together and add a little goat cheese. I've watched enough Everyday Italian episodes to know that you can pretty much combine anything with pasta, it doesn't have to be only jarred spaghetti sauce. (It probably seems like I have an unhealthy obsession with Giada. Maybe I do. But I thank her for keeping me entertained when during Bambino's first six months of life she would only nap in my arms. I had to be entertained somehow and I don't watch soap operas or daytime talk shows, so Food Network and The Cooking Channel it was!)

I was able to throw all the ingredients together and it was ready by 5 so Bambino could eat dinner. (Take that Rachael Ray and your 30 Minute Meals!) It came out really, really good. This is actually the second time I've made it and Bambino and I both devoured a heaping helping of this pasta dish.

I don't have a link to this because I created it myself. I should copyright it.

Ingredients:
2 cups of dried mini farfalle pasta
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chickpeas (or 3/4 of a 15 oz can)
1/2 box of a pint of cherry tomatoes, cut into pieces
1 Tablespoon mint
2 cloves of garlic
juice of one lemon
1/4 cup goat cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
1. Cook pasta according to directions on box. Reserve pasta water.

2. Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until browned.

3. Add tomatoes and cook until softened.

4. Add chickpeas, juice of one lemon, mint, salt and pepper. Saute all together.

5. Add in pasta and goat cheese. Toss to combine. If you find that the dish is dry, add in pasta water 1 tablespoon at a time. I added about 2 tablespoons of the pasta water to the dish.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
This is such a simple dish. The first time I made this it literally took me less than thirty minutes. You can easily make this dish with any type of pasta you have and omit the goat cheese if you don't like it. Additionally, you can add any vegetable that you like.

I've made this twice and I will make this again. This is my go to dish for when I'm in a rush.

How would you alter this dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment