Friday, September 30, 2011

Mini-Stromboli


For some reason the thought came to my mind that I wanted to make homemade pizza pockets. I'm not sure where the thought came from, perhaps I saw a commercial for Totinos pizza rolls? (Oh you Madison-Avenue-mind-manipulating-money-grubbing-thugs! You didn't get me, I'm not buying your product, or your client's product, I'm making it myself. So ha!) I realized that I could easily take homemade pizza dough and shape into pizza pockets, easy shmeazy.

Easy shmeazy it was not. For some reason when I went to shape the pizza pockets, I could not get the dough to stick to each other when I went to close it. I had quite the plethora of shapes. One Hubby referred to as a calzone. Another looked like a hamburger bun (don't ask) and finally I was so frustrated that I just rolled the dough from one end to the other and made a stromboli. I often make stromboli for Hubby and put in deli meat and cheese and sometimes I throw in spinach or peppers.(Hubby isn't the fan of the homemade pizza, but likes when I make stromboli out of the dough. ) This time, I took fresh marina sauce, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, spinach and japanese eggplant, placed it on the dough, rolled it from one edge to the other and scooped the sides underneath. For Hubby I made one mini stromboli with the fresh marinara sauce, cheese and turkey pepperoni.

The result was a big hit! Hubby said it was the best pizza pocket-calzone-stromboli I had ever made. He recommended making the marinara sauce-pepperoni stromboli instead of the one with deli meat. Bambino and I loved the vegetarian stromboli, so so good! I think the fresh marinara sauce may have had something to do with it? I don't know, but we all enjoyed it! This is a great one to make when you have vegeatarians and meatavarians because everyone can make their own and put their own toppings on it.

I have no link for the original, because it's my own recipe! I'm not going to list the amount of everything, because you decide what you like, just don't be too generous with the toppings because it will ooze out the sides or any cracks you have in the dough. No, seriously.

Ingredients
pizza dough (You can use store bought also. Pillsbury Dough has a good one.)
marinara sauce (Or any tomato sauce you like)
1 Japanese eggplant
1 button mushroom
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
turkey pepperoni
shredded mozzarella cheese
Or any other toppings you like...

Directions
1. Grease a cookie sheet, maybe 2. If using homemade pizza dough, divide dough into 8 pieces and spread into rectangular pieces. If using store bought pizza dough, divide into medium size rectangles. (Sorry I can't be any more useful with measurements.)

2. Spread marinara sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and then place toppings of choice.

3. Roll from the the long side of the rectangle. Once rolled, scoop up sides underneath and place on cookie sheet. (Careful when moving the stromboli!)

4. Bake in oven 10-15 minutes, until outside is golden brown. (You may see some cheese oozing out the sides.)

5. Cool and devour!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
Whether you are using homemade pizza dough or not, it's an easy dish to make. It's just a variation from the normal pizza. Hubby prefers stromboli over pizza because with pizza he has a certain bar set with the dough that I can never reach, but if I use the same dough for stromboli, I'm a genius!

I'll make this again. It's a nice change from the regular pizza we eat.

2 comments:

  1. We all like pizza and these little strombolis are much easier to pack for lunch than slices of pizza. Also, the other benefit as you stated, you can customize according to each persons preferences. Great post-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are great! We make something similar that I call dinner pockets (from a family circle recipe). I stuff 'em with ham and cheese and a dijon sauce I whipped up from mayo, dijon mustard, and capers).

    ReplyDelete