Friday, September 16, 2011

Orange Bread



Yesterday was another baking day. I usually bake some type of sweet once a week in hopes that it will satisfy our sweet craving for the week, but we often finish the scrumptious baked good by day three. Last week I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and as is often the case there are about two cookies sitting in the bottom of the container. And they will most likely sit there until I eat them and wash the container. I blame Hubby that the reason he doesn't eat the last few is because he doesn't want to have to wash the container. (If you're wondering why I didn't post the oatmeal cookies it's because I somehow mixed up the recipe I usually use with some faux Nestle Tollhouse recipe. So when I went to make the alterations to the recipe, as I always do, the end result was a bit too diet-y. I liked it, but didn't feel it was worth posting. When I find the authentic recipe, for some reason it wasn't on the chocolate chip bag like it usually is, I will share with you.)

Enough talk of the cookies that taste like something that should be sold in the Gluten free section of Whole Foods (Oh, is that the whole store these days?) on to this recipe. I had eaten some good oranges over the past few weeks and thought I'd look for a recipe to make with the oranges. I usually stick to cakes and cookies and I wasn't in the mood for an orange cookie (Ok, so I wasn't in the mood to make cookies, more work than cake) so I looked around for an orange bread or cake. As usual, when looking for the recipe to a fruit bread I came across A LOT of recipes that called for orange juice instead of oranges. No, I don't have any juice in the house. I do have oranges, so where are you, recipe? I finally came across a recipe on some peculiar website I had never seen before, Instructables.com. I'm not an Internetist (Yeah, I coined that word.) so that's not necessarily saying much.

The recipe was very simple and required one orange and all your other basics, flour, salt, sugar, etc. It turned out pretty well. Not the sweetest of all breads I've made, but amazing fresh out of the oven. Hubby commented on how good it came out and Bambino couldn't get enough of it!. I wouldn't rank it at the top of the list, but for a bread that isn't too sweet, I liked it. Again, I lessened the oil in the recipe to make it a bit healthier.

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/8 cup vegetable oil (Recipe calls for 1/3 cup melted butter)
1 tsp vanilla
1 orange
1 tablespoon sugar (for orange pulp)
2 tsp water

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add in sugar and put to side.

3. Peel orange and take apart. Place in blender (or magic bullet!) along with 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 teaspoons water. Move to a bowl.

4. Add egg, vanilla and oil to orange pulp. Fold in flour.

5. Place in greased (with cooking spray) loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes until knife inserted and comes out clean.


Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
Super easy and doesn't take too much time to complete. The familia enjoyed it and it was easy, can't go wrong with this one.

It's a toss up on whether I'll make this one again. Like I said, it wasn't at the top of my list, but it's an easy dish to make and it quenches the family's sweet craving.

3 comments:

  1. Orange bread..haven't made it in a while now.Good idea;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loves the orange flavor in anything. I'll have to make this for him. Your bread looks so tasty. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete