Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pork Paprika


So here it is. My first bleh meal. Ok, if I'm going to be honest, it's actually only the second time I've ever made a bleh meal. Ok, so maybe I minimize the blehness of many of my attempts of cooking, but when 70% is greatness, why concentrate on the other 30%?

So Hubby found this recipe from the quick and easy Martha Stewart cookbook and it's the second recipe he's picked from that cookbook that turned out bland. I didn't post the first dish because I thought it was a fluke and it wouldn't happen again. Who am I kidding? If I don't post my not so great dishes, I may run out of dishes to post! In all seriousness, I blame Hubby for both dishes, he did choose them. What I'm finding in some of these quick and easy dishes is that because they are quick and easy the flavor is compromised. They have less ingredients and cook for shorter amounts of time, which impact the quality of taste. I think it's time to return the Martha Stewart book to the library.

I had a feeling based on the ingredients that it would be a bit bland. The only flavors are paprika, salt and pepper. The onions and tomatoes add some flavor, but not enough to make up the dish. I pretty much followed the recipe to a tee except that I marinaded the pork in olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Also, since Hubby doesn't like tomatoes (why did he pick this dish?) I blended the canned (yes, canned! I even used canned as called for in the recipe!) tomatoes. The smell of the dish wasn't the greatest and when I tasted the sauce I was unimpressed. I served it over pasta and Bambino devoured the pasta and  had some pieces of pork as well. Hubby didn't care for the dish too much. He'll never flat out speak bad of something I've put hard work into it, so his political way of saying he didn't care too much for it came out loud and clear. (But he did eat the entire dish as to not hurt my feelings.)

Maybe the dish looks intriguing to you (as it did to Hubby) and you can tell me what I did wrong!

Click here for the original recipe. (The book calls the dish pork paprika, but online it's fancified and called pork paprikash.)

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pork tenderloin (about 1lb) with excess fat and silver skin removed. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut again.
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (14 oz) whole, peeled tomatoes in juice
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions
1. In a medium bowl combine the pork with 1 tablespoon of paprika and season with salt and pepper. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium high and cook pork until all sides are browned. Transfer to a plate.

2. In same skillet, reduce heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and onion. and cook until onion is soft. Add pork, 1 tablespoon paprika, tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10  minutes until sauce thickens. (My sauce never thickened!)

3. Remove skillet from heat and mix in sour cream. Cool and serve with egg noodles. (I served with farfalle since that's what I had in the pantry.)

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
It was actually easy to make, not too much work. I get the feeling that this is a dish that needs to stew for awhile to build up flavor and in this quick way of making it, it didn't have time to build flavor. Perhaps making it in the slow cooker would be a better idea?

Not going to make this again. I'm not interested in perfecting this dish when there are plenty of other pork dishes that Hubby likes.

Let me know if you have success!

2 comments:

  1. I always dislike when a meal just doesn't turn out as hoped. I suppose it is all part of the foodie process?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm glad you tried and liked the cashews! You should definitely try the cookies sometime, they are great! Of course I am cookie-obsessed so I may be biased in my suggestion.

    ReplyDelete