Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pretzel Bites


Snacky foods are my favorite type of food, says the carboholic. I could easily go all day just munching on things like wheat thins, pretzels, banana chips (the Indian salty variety) vanilla wafers, etc. It's absolutely horrible for you since it's pretty much empty calories (and the wheat of the wheat thins always do a number on my stomach), but it's so, so good. Oh, and tortilla chips! I love me some tortilla chips. I've never attempted to make any type of munchie food at home, because I never really thought you could. When I think of the rectangular boxes with vivid colors shouting out at me as I go down the cracker/cookie aisle at H-E-B (Buy me! Eat me! You know you can't resist me!) I don't think of these items as foods that I can make at home. I think of them as food created in factories by corporations looking to get the average consumer hooked to their not so good goods as does a crack dealer with their vast array of addictables.

So when I was discovering different food blogs and came across this recipe, 2 hours later I was in the kitchen prepping the dish. (When I use the word prepping it makes me feel like a contestant on Top Chef.) The particular blog I found had found this recipe from another blog who found it from Allrecipes.com. And now it's my turn to blog the recipe. I wonder if the original cook who scripted the recipe wants royalty fees?

These pretzel bites came out...in the words of Giuliana Rancic (literally, she's the only person I'v heard say this)...amaze balls! (No pun intended. They're shaped like balls, get it?) Seriously. Right out of the oven they taste like something you'd get at a pretzel stand at a carnival. I highly recommend you make these. If you don't own a bread machine, go buy one or borrow one from someone just to make this recipe!

Click here for the not-so-original recipe.

Ingredients
1 1/8 cups water
3 cups all purpose flour
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
8 cups water
1/2 cup baking soda
salt
olive oil to brush on top (calls for melted butter)

Directions:

1. In a bread machine add water, flour, brown sugar and yeast. Set machine on dough setting and press start.

2. Remove dough once cycle is complete and set on a lightly floured surface.

3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

4. Bring 8 cups of water and 1/2 cup baking soda to a boil.

5. Drop 1 inch size balls of dough into water 2-3 at a time and keep submerged for 10-15 seconds and then place on paper towel.

6. Place all balls on greased baking dish and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Brush with olive oil and salt. (I brushed and salted it before baking because I didn't read the directions properly and they came out great! I'll probably do it that way again.)


Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
This one is an easy one, as long as you have a bread machine. It does take three steps, but there's really little work to do.

I will DEFINITELY be making these again. They came out so, so good. They taste best fresh, right out the oven. They held up well the next day, but not as good. Can't tell you how it holds up on day three because we finished them today! Yes, WE! All three of us loved them!

3 comments:

  1. My husband likes pretzels very much. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a greta way to make thsi;)) I make rela bavarian pretzels and I love it.Will try it thsi way too;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you d0. Great photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

    I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
    http://erecipecards.com/

    It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

    in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

    Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!


    Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

    Dave
    http://erecipecards.com/
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete