Sunday, September 4, 2011

Thai Red Curry with Chicken


Hubby and I love us some Asian food, especially Thai food. Whenever we've traveled in the past we always search for a Thai restaurant. Perhaps because it meets his carnivorous tastes, my vegetarian tastes and then there's always the rice to bond us together!

I often cook stir fry dishes (And have even mastered dumplings!) but have yet to make a Thai curry. I've made Indian chicken curry, but it's completely different from Thai curries, with competing flavors. With as much Asian food as we consume, I felt it was time to conquer a Thai curry. Panang curry is my favorite, but I found more recipes for red curry so I figured I would stick with that.

I don't have one specific recipe to link back to because I scoured many sites and combined the different ingredients and came up with this. Overall, it came out really well. I would have preferred to use natural ingredients instead of the chili paste, but many of them I can't get at H-E-B. (Seriously though, when you have creamy coconut milk in a dish how can you go wrong?) And yes, I too ate some. I occasionally will eat some chicken (usually only when I cook it) and I did take a few bites of this. I also have no qualms about kicking the chicken to the side and only eating the vegetables. (We didn't serve it to Bambino because while it wasn't too hot, it did have a little kick to it, as Hubby said.) For all the vegetarians, this dish can easily be made sans the chicken.

Again, I have no direct link for this one.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp fresh ginger, shredded
1/2 onion
2 breasts of chicken cut into small pieces
2 Tablespoons of red curry paste (More or less depending on how you like the heat. You can find this in the Asian section of the grocery store)
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
juice of 1 lime
1 can coconut milk (I used light coconut milk)
1 large carrot, cut into semi-large pieces
1 red pepper, cut into semi-large pieces
3 red potatoes, peeled and cut into semi-large pieces
2 bay leaves

Directions:
1, Marinade chicken with garlic, fresh ginger and a smidgen of red chili paste (Not a part of the 2 tablespoons). Let sit over night. (I always marinade meats overnight to let them soak up flavor)

2. Heat oil in pan. Add onions and red chili paste. Saute until it becomes a thick mixture. Add in chicken, soy sauce and lime juice. Saute until no longer pink. (It may be a little difficult to tell if the chicken is still pink since the chili paste turns the chicken red)

3. Add in coconut milk, carrot, red pepper, potatoes and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then let simmer without top. Continue to simmer for about 35-40 minutes until potatoes are cooked and carrots are cooked through. (I tend to simmer foods for awhile in order for the chicken and vegetables to soak up flavor).

4. Discard bay leaves and serve with rice. (I used basmati, my favorite)

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
This is a pretty easy one. Since you use the red curry paste, you don't have to worry about using many spices. It's a great one dish meal. It has potatoes- the starch- so you can eat it alone, but it also tastes good with rice.

This was my first time making it and it got rave reviews from Hubby, so it's another one to go into heavy rotation. (Good thing too, I have the rest of the bottle of red chili paste to use!)

No comments:

Post a Comment