Saturday, September 24, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf with Feta and Sun-Dried Tomatoes


I know I've professed my love for Giada on a more than a plethora of occasions, so I felt it was time to finally post one of her recipes. I found this recipe almost a year ago, for Thanksgiving. Since it was only going to be the three of us and my parents, we didn't want to get a whole turkey. The only people who would eat the turkey would be Hubby and my dad, the almost vegetarian, so we really didn't need anything grandiose. (Bambino was far too young to be consuming pieces of turkey at this point.) Around November of last year I was at the peak of my Food Channel/Cooking Channel obsession. (And at the peak of my Housewives of Bravo obsession as well. Both has of now toppled down similar to spindle that eventually tires out. Come on, Andy Cohen, your Housewives franchise has taken a dark turn, I think it's now time for an E! True Hollywood Story about the show and lets call it a day. But I digress, as usual.) So when I was looking for alternative turkey recipes, I only looked at the Food Network website and this was the first recipe I came across. I had never made meatloaf before so I showed the recipe to Hubby and he was beyond enthused about trying it. He loves meat, he loves cheese and while he doesn't like tomatoes he does like sun-dried tomatoes. (Don't ask.I sure don't.)

The result of the dish was actually a huge hit! Not only did Hubby love it, but my almost vegetarian dad loved it as well! I, of course, didn't touch it, but I served it alongside a couscous-chickpea salad with ginger lime dressing and made it a Mediterranean themed Thanksgiving. This is a dish in our family that is in heavy, heavy rotation. I've even shared this recipe with friends. I don't what it is that makes this dish so amazing, but whatever it is, it works!

Click here for Giada's original recipe. (I don't change a thing in this dish. It's pretty healthy, so I stick with it.)

Ingredients:
vegetable cooking spray
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
2 eggs, at room temperature, slightly beaten
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
 1 lb lean ground turkey

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl stir together bread crumbs, parsley, sun dried tomatoes (you can pour in some of the oil from the jar as well), garlic, eggs, milk, feta, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Add in turkey meat and combine. Be careful not to overwork the meat.

3. Pack the meat in the loaf pan and bake until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees, which is about 45 minutes. Remove from heat. Place on a platter, slice and serve!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
I had never made meatloaf before, and had never really planned to, but this one turned out super simple. It's a little different than the traditional, American dish, but still facile to make.

I make this dish quite often. As I stated earlier, it is in heavy, heavy rotation and will stay there for awhile!

2 comments:

  1. I love your amateur cooking scale. so cute! This sounds like a good alternative to the traditional meat loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good idea! Love the cheese in it!

    ReplyDelete