Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Baked Italian Sausages with Potatoes and Rosemary


So here's a recipe I came across during my Food Network/Cooking Channel obsession last year. It was another morning where Bambino was napping in my arms during her mid-morning nap and I was on the couch watching the Cooking Channel. I was watching a show I had only seen on Saturdays called Bill's Food. It's an Australian show and the chef basically cooks cuisine from around the world. On this particular day Hubby was sitting next to me on the couch and we were watching the show together. (While there are few foods that we have in common, there are probably fewer television shows we have in common, so this was a rarity that we were both intrigued by the show.) So Bill was making this dish with sausages and potatoes and I was impressed with how simple it was to make and Hubby was intrigued with the the thought of sausages and potatoes together!

So I decided to make the dish and was happy with how facile the process was. Hubby really enjoyed the dish. Come on, spicy sausages with potatoes and bread, you can't go wrong in his book. Now, this isn't the healthiest of dishes. It's actually far from it. I normally don't cook Italian sausages because again, it is not healthy. Normally, when I make sausages I get organic apple chicken sausage or lean turkey sausage, but I thought this was a treat for Hubby. Like they say, anything in moderation.

I decided to make this dish Monday night because we had been out of town all weekend and I was desperate to cook a quick dinner, but had to make a vegetarian and non-vegetarian dish and was planning to make vegetarian lasagna for Bambino and I and needed something easy for Hubby, so this was the chosen one. Hubby was happy and I was happy with just how easy it was.

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
6 Italian Sausages, uncooked (I bought HOT Italian sausages since Hubby prefers spicy food)
5 medium size red potatoes, washed and sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 stalk of rosemary, leaves chopped off
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and briefly chopped
salt and pepper
2 slices ciabatta bread
2 teaspoons olive oil

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 390 degrees.

2. Grease a roasting pan. Cut sausages into smaller pieces, place into roasting pan.

3. Add the potatoes, paprika, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.

4. Tear the ciabatta bread into bite size pieces. Place in roasting pan.

5. Drizzle olive oil on top and gently toss to combine.

6. Place in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through and sausages are browned.

7. Cool and Serve

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 2
This is another really easy one. It looks impressive to serve to guests and is easy to make. Like I said, not the  healthiest but you could probably replace with a healthier type of sausage. Great to be served along side a salad.

I've made this many times over the past year, it's not in heavy rotation because of the healthiness factor, but I make it every now and then when I'm in a pinch for a quick meal.

1 comment: