Friday, October 28, 2011

Banana Bread


Mmm. The bread of the banana. Banana bread is one of my favorite baked goods. My mother would always make it growing up and my brother and I would pick at the outside crust and leave the soft inside to stand alone in the cake dubba (container) on the counter for my poor father to consume with his tea. As I got older and moved out of the house I would often crave my mom's banana bread so once I had finished eating the banana bread my mother sent back to college with me in my cooler of Indian food, I had to learn to make it myself. Initially I didn't have my mother's recipe from her Betty Crocker cookbook so I would just wax nostalgically over the amazing goodness of the warm, nutty banana bread. Once I got older, and with the advent of the Internet (Thank you, Al Gore!) I was able to do a quick google search for banana bread and voila, there is the recipe!

So this is a recipe I found many moons ago and still access regularly to make banana bread. I often vary the recipe by adding walnuts, pecans, raisins, craisins and chocolate chips. Yes, I did say chocolate chips. I must say, that was a genius decision on my behalf.  I became known for my amazing chocolate banana bread and would make it for when friends came over and would take as a gift when visiting friends houses. At one point my chocolate bread was given the title of famous. It's title did not tarnish even after my brother had consumed it and asked ,"In what circles?" in regards the title it held. Mo' fame mo' problems.

So this past week we had no baked goods in the house and I was in the mood for some banana bread. I had tried some new sweets recently and I felt it was time to go back to one of my favorites. Hubby and Bambino have also taken a great liking to my banana bread, Hubby prefers the chocolate version, but I was in the mood for some classic banana bread. Sans the chocolate. Sans the nuts.  So I made the banana bread and two days later it's basically done. Go make this bread. It's easy, it's good, it will melt in  your mouth.

Click here for the original recipe (I doubled the recipe, but I'm going to stick with the single version with a few of the changes I make.)

Ingredients
3 or 4 ripe bananas (Either smash them or blend them, I've done both)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup pecan or walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Add vegetable oil to mashed bananas. Mix in sugar, egg and vanilla.

3. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda and salt. Fold into banana mixture. Add nuts and/or chocolate chips if desired. Mix.

4. Pour into a greased loaved pan or a bundt pan. (Because I doubled the recipe I used a bundt pan) Bake one hour or until a knife is inserted and comes out dry.

5. Cool and serve!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
For baking, this one is pretty easy. There really isn't too much work to it. I have most of the ingredients in my kitchen at all times. So when my bananas go bad, I just make them into banana bread. (There's a Sid the Science Kid episode about this!) 

I make this often and will continue making it! 

3 comments:

  1. My mom used to make banana bread all the time. I love bread and love the smell of bread baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make banana bread often as I do not like banana as a fruit but it it if processed;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of banana bread in a bundt tin - looks incredible :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Microwave Fruity Syrup Oat Cake

    ReplyDelete