Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Capellini and Meat Sauce



It was one of those Sundays where I was planning out the menu for the week and was making my grocery list. I wasn't feeling too creative this last week, kind of in a funk. I recalled a conversation I had with a girlfriend where she asked me if Hubby likes tomato sauce with ground meat since she has seen on the blog a couple of different pasta recipes without tomato sauce. I remember telling her that yes he likes it, and I have made it in the past, but recently I have been trying out new ideas. Well, this was going to be a week for the easy oldies. Meat sauce is fairly simple to make and Hubby and Bambino like it, so on the menu it was.

My mother would often make this dish when we were very young. (I always say we when referring to childhood referencing my brother and I. Force of habit.) Basically taking a jarred spaghetti sauce and vamping it up with meat and vegetables and letting it simmer, then serving it over spaghetti. It's simple, tasty and always a hit. Funny thing, whenever my mother would make spaghetti and meatballs I always crushed the meatballs and turn it into meat sauce, but then I preferred meatballs over meat sauce. Such an odd child I was. Of course this is no longer an issue for me.

So the spaghetti and meat sauce was a hit again. I think it was just a nice change from the usual. I notice that both with Hubby and Bambino when I make something I haven't made in quite awhile it always goes over like something new.

No original recipe for this one, but I think it's a basic that most families make.

Ingredients
16 oz marinara sauce (Or one jar of your favorite tomato sauce)
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1.25 lbs ground lean turkey meat
1/2 package of capellini pasta (No, I'm not trying to be fancy with the capellini, it's all I had in the pantry! You can use any type of pasta.)

Directions
1. Cook capellini according to package. Drain and set to side.

1. In a skillet add turkey meat, bell pepper and carrots. Saute until browned. Drain meat mixture and return to pan.

2. Continue to saute until carrots and bell peppers are tender.

3. Add tomato sauce to mixture. Bring to a boil, cover and then simmer for 20-30 minutes

4. Mix with capellini and serve!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 2
This one is a very simple one. It's great for a quick weeknight meal. I like to make this when I'm not feeling creative but want to make a hearty meal. It's also the perfect meal for Hubby the night before he has a long run, plenty of carbs and protein!

I used to make this a lot and I had just forgotten about it! I'll have to bring it back for times when I'm not feeling adventurous.

No comments:

Post a Comment