Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chocolate Cake


The first time I ever made homemade chocolate cake was for Bambino's first birthday party. It was double layered and I made the attempt of making homemade icing and it was a catastrophe of cakedom. (Ok, that alliteration didn't quite work. I'll admit) Good thing the first attempt was just a dry run and we still consumed the runny iciing. So when it was actually time to make the cake for the party,  I went with the store bought icing, homemade icing would be for another day.

When I was looking for recipes for Bambino's birthday cake this was the first recipe I came across and it seemed pretty easy, so I went with it. It was on the Hershey's website, so I figured it had to be good. And good it was! It was very moist, which I loved. I had never worked with cocoa when baking, and there were no problems and the cocoa wasn't too expensive! (Much to the dismay of Hershy's, I did not purchase their brand of cocoa, but rather the local grocery store brand. Hey, it was cheaper and tasted good to me!)

So this past week I was in need of something to bake and I was reminiscent of the cake from Bambino's birthday, so I decided to make some good ol' chocolate cake. Hubby loved the birthday cake and loves baked goods around the house, so I knew he would enjoy it as well. So I took the recipe and made it a little healthier (lessened the oil and used fat free milk) and it was still a success! When Bambino saw it on the counter, she screamed for it. Didn't want dinner, just had to have a slice of the cake. Hubby sure liked it, as seen by the fact that he ate three slices last night while we watched Up at Night. (I wish I had a PhD in Peek a Boo. Alas, an undergraduate class in Child Development is all I can boast about.)

Click here for the original recipe (When I made this recipe for the birthday party, I followed the ingredients exactly, so that is what I will list here. If you want to make it healthier, make changes as you wish.)

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup boiling water
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. (I sifted the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and then threw in the sugar and cocoa.)

3. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water with a spatula. (Not the electric mixer!) The batter will be thin and runny.

4 Pour batter into greased bundt pan. Or, you can use two circular pans if you want to layer and frost in between. (I did that for the party, but this time I just used a bundt pan.) Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out dry. (If you use two circular pans it should only take about 30 minutes.)

5. Transfer to cooling rack and enjoy!


Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
For baking a cake, this is really easy. You can tell by the recipe that it is meant for beginners. This is great for a party or just for some chocolate cake to have around the house!

I'll probably end up using this recipe for Bambino's next birthday party, since it was a hit!

1 comment:

  1. I love round cakes.They looks so much nicer.And teher is always possibility you can place something in the middle;) Cream,fruit..great recipe for chocolate cake;)

    ReplyDelete