Monday, October 3, 2011

Low-fat Brownies


I've been making brownies on a regular basis for as long as I can remember. I've always bought the Betty Crocker low-fat fudge brownies and added extra nuts to them. For some reason I always thought that brownies were extra hard to make, harder than your average cake or cookies. I don't know why, but I was convinced this was the case and thus while I was making other baked goods from scratch, I would always buy brownie mix.

Since I've been challenging myself with my cooking abilities, I thought that I'd look up recipes for brownies, but not just any brownie a low fat brownie, just to keep it healthy. I was prepared to have a difficult quest to conquer, but was ready to take on the challenge. I had my armor on and was ready to battle! On guard! When I found the recipe I was surprised just how easy it was. Wait, I don't have to use my armor and sword?  It was very similar to any making any cake or bread. I debunked my self-inflicted myth that making brownies are difficult and took on the easy task.

So the low fat brownies had applesauce in the recipe! It had less oil and instead applesauce. It had plenty of sugar so I am assuming they were to replace the oil. The brownies came out great. I felt it was lacking on the sugar, but it had plenty in there, but perhaps it was the cocoa/sugar ratio that made it not as sweet. So if you like chocolate, you'll like them. They were more of the chewy type as opposed to the cakey type, like Hubby likes. He liked the brownies, I liked the brownies and Bambino liked the brownies. I added in nuts to give it a little extra pizzazz. And because I love nuts.

Click here for the original recipe

Ingredients
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup of sugar(!)
2 egg whites
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optionals)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream oil and sugar with a hand mixer. Add in egg whites, applesauce and vanilla.

2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add in cocoa powder.

3. Fold in dry ingredients into oil mixture. Add in walnuts, if desired.

4.Spray an 8x8 baking dish with PAM and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.


Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
This one is pretty easy. No more difficult than baking a cake or a bread. Same formula.

It's good stuff. Like I said, a little light on the sweet side, but it will suffice for a low fat dessert!

2 comments:

  1. these look so rich for being good (better) for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Low fat and not real sweet can be a delicious treat and a welcome change of pace. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete