Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oven Baked Fries


You're probably wondering where I've been the last couple, or several, days. No, I did not give up on blogging, unfortunately I had a bad bout of the stomach flu. When I wasn't occupied with...stuff...I was too nauseas to get out of bed. Bambino took the opportunity of me laying down to jump on my stomach and play horsey, not good. As I started to feel a little better, the last thing I was interested in was food, so cooking and  food blogging were out of the question. I'm slowly gaining my strength back and decided to post something I had sitting around in my edits. Enjoy this until I'm back on track again. Thanks for checking in!

Who doesn't love french fries? Warm, crispy potatoes fried in oil? Come on. It's good stuff. Now, as much as I love high carbohydrate food,  I know it's not the healthiest to eat fried potatoes. I have no qualms about eating potatoes, I'm a big believer in eating in moderation, but if I'm going to eat a starchy food, I definitely don't need to fry it. If I'm going to have a few fries at a restaurant for a treat, that's fine, but at home I prefer not to fry foods.

So I was looking for something different to serve Bambino with her lunch. She often enjoys eating her grilled turkey, cheese and tomato sandwich (on other occasions she spits it right out of her mouth), but I wanted something else to add along with it. I had once baked sweet potatoes in the oven and they came out so, so good so I thought maybe I could bake potatoes and they would turn out similarly. What do you know, they do! And the best part is that you can control the seasonings of the fries.

Click here for the original recipe

Ingredients:
1 large baking potato
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Cut potato into wedges. (Or any shape you prefer your fries to be) Place potato in bowl and add olive oil, salt, pepper and mix. (You can also add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika or any other seasonings you like. Since Bambino was eating it I didn't want to put too many spices)

3. Bake in preheated oven until baked to desired crispness. 40-45 minutes. (The recipe called to bake at 450 degrees, but I found that the outside was getting very dark but the inside wasn't cooking so I decreased the temp to 400. Increase temp if need be.)

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale:1
This was a very simple recipe to make, it just takes time to bake. It's great dish to add along with a sandwich or even for breakfast along with some eggs.

Bambino devoured the potatoes. She enjoyed them dipped in hummus! So I am sure I'll be making this again.

Would you try this healthy alternative to french fries? 

No comments:

Post a Comment