Saturday, October 8, 2011

Shepherd's Pie

I know, it's one sad looking photo.

I initially came up with the idea to make Shepherd's Pie last year during the peak of my Food Network/Cooking Channel obsession. I was watching Sunny Anderson's show Cooking for Real while Bambino was asleep in my arms and watched her build up the meat and mashed potatoes tower I didn't know much about shepherd's pie before this. I related it with something British. In my mind it was no different than the mince meat pies made in Sweeny Todd (Ok, maybe not the same as Ms. Lovett's Worst Pies in London.) Regardless, instantly I knew Hubby would devour this. Meat and potatoes layered together in one concoction, he's going to love it!

And love it he did. You basically just make mashed potatoes in one pot and keema (An Indian meat dish) in another and layer the two together and maybe squeeze in some cheese in there and pop it into the oven. There you go, Shepherd's Pie! Any culinary expert, or Brit, would probably disagree with me. But this is how  I interpret the dish and I apologize to any who disagree.

When I made it this past week it was the second time for me to make it and I served it to both Hubby and Bambino and both loved it. It sure made a lot and I'm not sure about freezing the potatoes, so  Hubby will be eating a lot of Shepherd's Pie this week!

Click here for the original recipe (I did not make the accompanied mushroom onion gravy because Hubby likes neither. Mushrooms or onions that is. He's good with gravy.)

Ingredients
2 lbs Russet potatoes washed, peeled and cubed
salt
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1.25 lbs lean ground turkey
1 small onion chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup frozen peas
1 ear of corn, kernels chopped off (or 1/4 cup frozen)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium saucepan boil potatoes in water until tender and falling apart. Drain water and return to pot. Smash potatoes with a smasher. Add butter, milk and salt. Mix together and set to side.

2. In a separate pot heat vegetable oil on medium high heat. Add in onion, bell pepper, carrots and ground turkey meat. Add in Worcestershire sauce. Continue to cook until brown. (Optional: drain oil from browned meat and return to pot.) Add paprika, frozen corn and peas and mix. Stir in tomato paste and cook for one minute. Add in chicken broth. Bring to a boil then simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Grease a casserole dish. Layer bottom of dish with ground turkey meat mixture. Sprinkle with all of cheese. Then top with mashed potatoes on top. Bake in oven for 30 minutes until edges are golden brown.


4. Cool and serve!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
There are a couple of different steps in this recipe so it is a tad bit time consuming, but not too overwhelming. It's a great meat and potatoes type of dish and you can vary the type of meat you use (I think traditionally it is  lamb meat) and the vegetables you use.

I've now made this twice and it's safe to say I shall make it again.





No comments:

Post a Comment