Monday, October 10, 2011

Snickerdoodles


Snickerdoodles. Heheheh, I've always snickered at the name snickerdoodle. I know, cheesy, but along with some cheddar is how my humor rolls.  I don't have much of a history with snickerdoodles. I haven't consumed it on too many occasions nor have I ever made them. Snickerdoodles were also not in my mother's repertoire, thus I've had it only on few occasions. When I think of the doodle of snicker it reminds me of Christmas time and consuming vast amount of cookies from a cookie basket a co-worker gives that is filled with glittery tissue paper and then you get specs of glitter on your cookie. The taste just kind of gets meshed in with all the flavors of the other cookies, so I didn't have any distinct taste for a what a snickerdoodle was. 

I was browsing through other blogs when I came across a recipe for snickerdoodles. Immediately I wanted to try it just becasue it was something new. When I read the recipe I saw that it needed corn syrup, and I had none in the house and didn't want to buy any because few recipes call for it. So off I was searching for some doodle recipes. I tried to look up healthier versions, but I landed on one that I had all the ingredients for and went with it.

The results were pretty good, except that I felt it called for way too much cream of tartar. I was hesitant when making it, but since I've never baked anything with cream of tartar I decided to stick to the recipe. The taste of the cookie is great, except for a bitter after taste, which would be the tartar. I think I'll make them again, but cut back on the tartar next time. Bambino really loved the cookie, I turned around and she had gobbled up the cookie and crumbs were sprinkled around her a la Cookie Monster.


Ingredients
1/2 cup vegetable oil (Recipe calls for 1 cup butter)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar (Next time I will reduce to 1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar (topping)
4 teaspoons cinnamon (topping)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Mix oil, sugar and eggs.

3. In a separate bowl sift flour, baking soda and salt. Add in cream of tartar. Fold in flour mixture into oil, sugar, and egg mixture.

4. In another bowl, mix together 1/4 cup sugar and 4 teaspoons cinnamon.

5. Grease a baking sheet. Shape dough into balls. (Mine were about 1 inch across.)

6. Roll balls in sugar cinnamon mixture then place on baking sheet.

7. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes. (Mine cooked for 10 minutes) Cool and consume!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
Becasue I lessened the amount of oil in the recipe, it made it difficult to shape into balls. I had read in other recipes that you should place the dough in the fridge to make it easier to shape, so I also had heat working against me.

I think I'll try this again, but I'll reduce the cream of tartar and place the dough in the fridge before forming into balls. Overall, pretty good, minus the bitter aftertaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment