Monday, November 7, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies


What's better than warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies? Mmmmm. I love chocolate chip cookies. Probably because it reminds me of my childhood. From as far back as I could remember my mother has always made chocolate chip cookies and had them in the cookie dubba (container) on the counter . To this day she still makes them pretty regularly for my father to munch on with his tea and they are still in the cookie dubba on the counter.

I've often made chocolate chip cookies ever since I got married. They are pretty simple to make, or maybe because they are so familiar I think of them as the easiest cookie to make? I usually stick with the Nestle Tollhouse cookie recipe from the back of the chocolate chip bag, same place I get my favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe!

So this past week we had no baked goods around the house (The banana bread was far gone) so it was utmost important that I make some baked goods. I hadn't made the good ol', simple chocolate chip cookies in quite awhile and I wasn't feeling adventurous so I decided to make them. They came out oh so good and by the time I'm writing this there's only one cookie left! (Why hasn't anyone eaten it, you ask? Well, it's the age old battle of who will consume the last cookie and be responsible for washing the dubba it is in. That will eventually be me, of course.)

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil (recipe calls for 1 cup butter, but I reduce and sprinkle water into the batter to moisten it)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set to side.

3. Mix oil, sugar and vanilla together until creamy. Add eggs one at a time.

4. Fold in flour mixture into sugar mixture. Add chocolate chips and nuts. (If you only used 1/4 cup vegetable oil, you will need to sprinkle water and mix until the dough becomes moist, but not too watery!)

5. Drop by tablespoon on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 9-11 minutes, until golden brown.

6. Cool and consume!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
These chocolate chip cookies are very simple to make. Maybe because it's so simple to make is why I find it to be so easy compared to other cookies? Regardless, it's not too much work and once they are done, they are so worth the make!

You know, since there is only one cookie left, I think I'll make another batch of these today!

1 comment: