Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Garlic and Sun-dried Tomato Corn Muffins


So here's another one I made for the Thanksgiving potlucks last week. Now, I didn't get much feedback from other people, but personally I thought they were really good as well did Hubby and Bambino. The smell of the muffins baking was so enticing! I never would have thought that garlic and sun dried tomatoes would be a good addition to a muffin, but I was wrong, I admit.

So I saw this recipe on none other than Giada at Home. I actually haven't watched this show in quite some time, but the weekend before Thanksgiving I was watching the Food Network just to see what was new in the world of Thanksgiving cooking (Not sure why. I don't even cook Thanksgiving dinner nor care for the food too much, except for the mashed potatoes.) and saw Giada was on. I knew that she would have some kind of Italian twist to Thanksgiving food, such as her sweet potato gnocchi. So I watched her make these muffins and part of what made it so encouraging to make was that it was so simple!

Now, I know I don't normally like using store bought cake mixes, but I do love some garlic and sun dried tomatoes and was curious how it would taste in corn muffins, so I broke down and decided to use the cake mix. (Oh, and lucky me they were only 50 cents a box!). So I made the muffins and really enjoyed them! They were simple to make, a tad too rich for every day eating around here, but great for the holiday binge!

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
2 (8.5 oz) packages corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
2 cups frozen corn
3 cloves garlic
2/3 cup diced sun dried tomatoes (from a jar with olive oil)
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup sour cream
2 eggs

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease two muffin tins.

2. In a large bowl combine muffin mix, corn, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Mix.

3. In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream and eggs until blended.

4. Add the buttermilk mixture to the muffin mix. Stir to combine.

5. Spoon the mix into muffin tins, filling up the cups about halfway. Bake until golden brown on top, about 15 minutes.

6. Cool and serve.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
This one is really simple and great for holiday dinners or something quick to make for dinner. If you need only a few muffins then you may want to divide the recipe in half. I used tiny muffin tins and it made quite a bit of muffins, so next time I make it I will use larger muffin tins or maybe even use a square baking dish and cut it into pieces. Good stuff. Go make.

No comments:

Post a Comment