Friday, November 4, 2011

Moroccan Turkey Patties


So I had some ground turkey meat in the fridge and needed something to make. I've been in quite the unadventurous mood these past few weeks and had intended to just make some spaghetti with meat sauce with the turkey meat but for some reason I had a burst of adventure in my system and decided to look on the Internet for dishes to make with the turkey meat. I went to the Real Simple Magazine website and searched ground beef recipes (I would just replace ground beef with ground turkey). One of the first recipes I came across was for Moroccan Beef Patties. I had never heard of this recipe before (Maybe because I don't eat ground beef nor do I cook it in the house?) and was intrigued by the ingredients: cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and on and on. I liked that it was a very flavorful dish. I doubted how authentic Moroccan it was, but since I have very little experience eating or making Moroccan food, I figured I wouldn't know the difference.

I served it along side a basic couscous dish that I concocted and it was actually a big hit! I cut the patty into small pieces and mixed it into the couscous which Bambino loved. Hubby smashed the patties into the couscous and ate it similarly to Bambino and said he liked that it was so flavorful.

Overall, the recipe was pretty simple to make, didn't take too much time. I busted out the griddle so that I could cook all the patties at the same time. Hubby did comment that they looked like mini-patties or sliders, but he enjoyed the taste! Looks like another one for heavy rotation.

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
1.25 lbs ground turkey meat (or beef, if you prefer)
1 medium onion, minced
1 medium carrot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder or red masala

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (Optional, if you want your patties well done.). Mix the onion, garlic, carrots and spices together in a bowl. Add in ground turkey meat and mix with hands. (Don't over mix!) Separate the meat in half, then each half into a half, then each quarter into a half. (Should make 8 patties)

2. Heat a non stick pan or griddle on high heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cook each patty for about 4 minutes per side. (To ensure it was cooked through for Bambino, I then placed it in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes per side)

3. Cool and serve over couscous or eat in a pita like a falafel!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
This is another easy one, folks. It's like making hamburgers, but since I've never made hamburgers before it was like making meatballs! For me, ground turkey meat is the easiest meat to work with because there's no cleaning or marinading meat. Just take it out the day you're ready to cook.

I'll definitely be making this again. Both Bambino and Hubby enjoyed it and it wasn't too much effort for me, heavy rotation here we come!

3 comments:

  1. I like variation on thsi type of dish.When I look at ingredients I can so spot a few that distinguische this dish from ist ;brothers and sisters' in other countries.delicious

    ReplyDelete