Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Potato Pancakes


The first time I ever made potato pancakes were last year during my cooking frenzy. I'm not sure how I came across the recipe or how I even knew what they were. I had never eaten potato pancakes before so perhaps I randomly came across the recipe on allrecipes.com or something? Who can remember? Regardless of how I came across it, the taste was amazing! Hubby said he had eaten them before and that they were served with sour cream. Luckily for him, for some reason we had some fat free sour cream in the fridge. Hubby devoured a heaping helping of the potato pancakes and loved them! Bambino also ate a pancake along with some plain, fat free yogurt. So the first attempt was a success!

This past week I felt like making some potato pancakes again. I knew Bambino loved them and thought it would be some good variety since it had been awhile since I last made them. The last couple of times I made potato pancakes, I made mashed potatoes first, and then added that to the pancake batter and threw in some other odds and ends that I had in the vegetable bin. This time I decided to add cilantro, onion and tomatoes. (All on Hubby's no-no list so these were not for him.)

Well, this was the best making of potato pancakes I had ever made! The mixture of the cilantro, tomatoes and onion with the potatoes made it come out so, so good! I think I was being nostalgic for the South Indian dish uttapam, which is why I chose the cilantro, tomatoes and onion. Also, I don't like the taste of eggs, so instead of whole eggs, I used egg whites and it definitely helped keep the eggy taste at bay.

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
2 cups mashed potatoes
2 eggs (I replaced with 4 egg whites)
1/4 cup flour
salt
pepper
1/4 of an onion, chopped
6 sprigs cilantro, chopped
1/2 roma tomato, chopped
olive oil for cooking

Directions
1. Mix together mashed potatoes, egg, flour, salt, pepper, onion, cilantro and tomatoes.

2. Grease a nonstick pan with cooking spray.  Add a tablespoon of olive oil.

3. Pour batter into pan. (Don't make it too thin, otherwise it will be difficult to flip over.) Brown on both sides for 4-5 minutes.

4. (Optional step) Place in oven at 350 degrees for ten minutes per side. I chose to place in oven to get the pancakes a bit more crispy.

5. Cool and serve with plain yogurt, sour cream, applesauce or whatever you choose.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 5
I give this dish a higher score because there are numerous steps: making the mashed potatoes, cutting and mixing the ingredients, frying in the skillet and then baking. I chose to use the griddle so I could make all the pancakes at once.

This is a great tasting dish and worth the multiple steps. It's a great dish to make when you have leftover mashed potatoes, gives a little pizzazz to the traditional dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment