Friday, November 11, 2011

Pumpkin Banana Bread


Ahhh, the holiday season is upon us. Bright Christmas lights, wreaths hung on doors and the warm smell of vanilla and cinnamon cascading through people's houses while they have their air conditioning running and are wearing shorts and flip flops. Thats right. Christmas in the South. My neighbor just put up his Christmas lights as he was wearing khaki shorts and polo, perspiring and drinking a cold one by the time he was done. I wasn't sure what was more pathetic, putting up Christmas lights November 1st, or wearing shorts while doing so? Yep, you have it right. I'm a bit of a Christmas Scrooge. Ok, not so much of a scrooge, more that I'm just indifferent to the holiday season. I am not one of those people in line on Black Friday in hopes of buying Christmas gifts for my second cousins who I never talk to. The only person who gets a Christmas gift in my world is Bambino, perhaps it will be under a Christmas tree this year, perhaps it will not.

I have nothing against the holiday season, I'm just a bit apathetic to the season. Growing up my parents did have make an effort to have a Christmas tree and celebrate the season, despite the fact that it wasn't in our religion. They didn't want my brother and I to feel left out when all of our friends were celebrating and we were not. What else would we do during the two weeks of Christmas vacation if we didn't obsess over what gifts we want for one week and then play with them for the requisite week after Christmas and before school starts only for it to eventually be dumped in some toy bin in the back of the closet? As we got older and gifts weren't a big deal to us, neither was the holiday season. We had no religious tie to the season and we no longer were greedy kids asking for gifts, so the holiday passed with just a dinner spent together as a family.

 Lucky for me, I married a man just as apathetic to the season as I! We have yet to have a Christmas tree in our house, (At the same time, we have yet to place lights around the house for Diwali either!) but we're thinking next year when Bambino is 2, we'll probably make a big deal of both Christmas and Diwali, two days other than a birthday to get presents, yay! So for this year, we may just let the holiday pass, but Bambino still gets a gift! (I also have a free coupon for some holiday cards, so maybe I'll send them out? Or maybe no.)

So, where is all this coming from? Well, when I think of the holidays I thinking of pumpkin bread. My mother always made pumpkin bread growing up and I too have made it as well as pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake. Last week a girlfriend of mine gave me a recipe for pumpkin bread and I realized it's been awhile since I made it so I bought some pumpkin puree from the store and was ready to make it. But, there were two extremely ripened bananas hanging on the fruit bowl that were screaming at me to toss them into the oven and make some bread. So I looked up to see if pumpkin banana bread existed, and it did! Yay! I can make my pumpkin bread and throw in some bananas, excellent!

So, the recipe turned out great! You can taste pumpkin, you can taste banana. Hey, it's pumpkin banana bread!

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
2 ripened bananas (Oh, mine were ripened.)
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 can pumpkin puree (14 oz)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (Recipe calls for 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, but I replaced with nutmeg and ginger since I didn't have any pumpkin pie spice.)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins (Optional. I did not use)
1/2 cup walnuts (Optional. I did not use)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan with cooking spray.

2. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add in ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon.

3. In a separate bowl, mash bananas and add eggs, oil, pumpkin pie puree, honey and sugar.

4.Fold flour into this mixture. Add in walnuts and/or raisins if desired.

5. Pour into bundt pan and bake in oven for 45 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean.

6. Cool and consume!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
 This one is pretty simple. There are numerous ingredients in the recipe, but it truly doesn't take too long to make and then you just dump it all into the oven and bake!

Yummy stuff, good variation off of pumpkin bread, but next time I'll try the classic, since it's been awhile since I had some good ol' pumpkin bread!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm your pumpkin banana bread looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin banana bread..sure to please.
    Well this Xmas season is a bit different here..middle in the summer;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! Moist banana bread is so great, but this looks like it'd have much more of a kick.

    ReplyDelete