Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Turkey Stuffed Shells with Marinara Sauce


So here's another Giada recipe. No, I'm not that obsessed with her and I really don't watch her show all too often anymore but I randomly flipped over to the Food Network a few weeks ago and came across an old episode of Giada at Home and saw her make these shells. As I watched her make it and saw how easy it was I knew I had to try it. I'm always looking for something to make from ground turkey meat since ground turkey meat is easy to work with in general and this recipe was perfect.

After watching the episode I realized that it was basically a deconstructed and reconstructed lasagna! It has all the same ingredients as lasagna, it's just put together in a different manner. The work it took to make the shells was no different than lasagna, except that it does take a tad bit of time to stuff each shell, but that's the kind of tedious cooking work that I enjoy doing. (I know, I even like dicing vegetables, craziness!)

Overall the dish was a success. I left out the artichokes Giada put in since Hubby does not like artichokes and they're expensive. (Just to buy a can of artichokes it's $2.50!) Hubby really liked it (with my edits) as well did Bambino. This is great for a meal alongside a salad, to take along to a potluck or even for a warm appetizer if you're having a dinner party. Definitely making this one again.

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
1 (12 oz) box of jumbo shells
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 lb ground turkey meat
salt and pepper
1 (15oz) container ricotta cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese (I was out of parm, so just threw in a little mozzarella)
2 eggs, lightly beaten (I used egg whites only)
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 jar marinara sauce ( or 28 oz of freshly made sauce)

Directions
1. Boil shells according to directions on box. Cook until tender, but still firm to bite.

2. In a non-stick skillet heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add onions, green pepper and garlic and cook until softened. Add the ground turkey, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until browned. (After browned I drained the grease out.) Remove from heat and cool.

3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl combine the cooled turkey with ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

4.Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13, 2 in baking dish. Layer with marinara sauce. Take a shell and stuff with about 2 tablespoons of turkey mixture into each shell and place in baking dish. Continue with rest of shells.

5. Drizzle remaining marinara sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted.

6. Cool and serve.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 5
Don't be too intimidated by this recipe. It's not that many steps. If you are comfortable with the workload of making lasagna, then this is pretty similar. The results were good and even though the taste was similar to lasagna, I think it may just have been refreshing for Hubby to eat something different as opposed to the usual heavy rotation dishes.

1 comment:

  1. uh oh! i'm going to attempt making this tonight!!!! :) keep your phone handy hahaha
    -m

    ReplyDelete