Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chicken Chili



Chicken Chili, huh? Yes, that was my exact thought at the name of the recipe. Ok, so lets go back for a second. On Sunday night Bambino had a Holiday party with all her buddies and the parents all brought a dish. One of the dishes was a southwestern chili. It looked pretty good, it had beans, tomatoes and chicken. So on Monday when I was desperate for something to cook for dinner, but tired of all the usuals I started thinking of the chili from the night before! It was too last minute to ask my friend for the actual recipe, so I went online and searched chicken chili recipes.

Apparently, white chicken chili is a popular dish with chicken and white (or northern) beans. I didn't have any northern beans, so I decided to replace it with kidney beans. Who knew? (A lot of peeps, apparently.) The ingredients in the dish were very inviting to make, tomatillos (oh how I love you but rarely use you!), cumin, coriander, tomatoes, yum yum yum!

Overall, I thought the dish came out very well. The flavor blend was really good. The first night of eating it I served it with some fresh ciabatta bread, bad idea. This family definitely needs a heavy starch (more than bread) to eat at meal time. 1 hour later Bambino was hungry and perusing the pantry and Hubby woke up the next morning and was famished by the time he got to work! (This was after eating his usual breakfast.) On leftovers night I made some rice and it was much more filling for Bambino. So much so that when I was eating some carrots, she wasn't even interested. (Yes, my child even loves raw vegetables. All food is good.)

So if you plan to make this recipe, you may want to serve it with some rice to make it heartier, if you're anything like our family. But we probably eat a lot more rice than most families do.

Click here for the original recipe. (I pretty much stuck to the recipe except that I used fresh vegetables instead of the canned.)

Ingredients
2-3 breasts of chicken cubed (I used 3 breasts and it was A LOT of chicken, which could be a good thing.)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
14 oz of chicken broth
4 tomatillos, chopped (Or 1 -14oz can)
2 roma tomatoes, chopped (Or 1- 16 oz can)
1- 7 oz can of diced green chilies (I used canned to ensure that it was a mild chili)
2 ears corn, kernels chopped off
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 cup cooked kidney beans (or northern beans as the recipe calls for)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Clean, cut and marinade chicken with 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon coriander, 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Refrigerate over night.

2. In a pot, heat oil on medium high heat. Saute chicken until cooked through. Take out of pot and place on cutting board, Once cooled, chop into small pieces.

3. Heat another tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat and cook onion and garlic until soft.

4. Add tomatoes, tomatillos, corn, diced chilies, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are a bit softened.

5. Add in chicken broth and chicken. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 45 minutes until tomatoes and tomatillos are completely softened.

6. Cool and serve with rice and/or bread.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
The only reason this got a 4 rating is because it takes time to clean and marinade the chicken and chop everything up. Once you get to the pot and are just adding things in it's pretty easy.

I personally liked the flavors of this dish, not sure how much Hubby liked it, didn't here a squeak out of him except for how good the bread was and that he was hungry the next day. Bambino enjoyed a heaping plate full over rice with some melted cheese on top. The bites I had out of Bambinos were good as well.

I'd like to make it again, we'll see what Hubby says.

No comments:

Post a Comment