Friday, December 30, 2011

Chicken Parmesan in the Slow Cooker


Since I've been in a cooking rut I've had little incentive to try new dishes and have been sticking to the same old, same old. Last Saturday (Or one may refer to the day as Christmas Eve) I had some chicken that I thawed in the freezer and needed something to make with it. I was not going to attempt to go to the grocery store on Christmas Eve and battle all the last minute shoppers so had to use whatever was in the kitchen. I decided I wanted something quick and easy with little fuss so went on the search of slow cooker recipes for chicken and came across chicken cacciatore. It was super simple, unlike my version from scratch.

With such success with the chicken cacciatore (I can't post because I neglected to take a photo. Sorry. Too bad, it was good stuff too) I decided to seek out slow cooker recipes for dishes to make this week and I came across chicken Parmesan. In the slow cooker, interesting. People raved of the dish in the review so I figured, why not?

Well, the results were a success! The chicken was tender and falling apart. (Which we like, if you don't like your chicken like this, not a good idea to make this recipe in the slow cooker) I also cooked the dish on the low setting which is a change for me since I usually cook dishes on high. But I had cooked the chicken cacciatore on low and it came out so good that I decided to try the low setting again, and it came out much better this way!

I served it with Ziti (Or long tube pasta as Hubby refers to it as) and some sauteed broccoli. Of course, when consumed by Hubby and Bambino it was all mashed together, but regardless, good stuff!

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts thinned
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 beaten egg
sliced mozzarella cheese
1 jar marinara sauce (Gasp, I did not use marinara sauce from scratch, I did used my favorite H-E-B jarred version.)

Directions
1. Marinade the chicken with oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper and olive oil. Refrigerate over night.

2. Spray bottom of slow cooker with vegetable cooking spray.

3. Beat egg in one dish. Mix breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in another dish.

4. Dip chicken in egg and then into breadcrumb mixture, then place in crockpot. Repeat for all pieces of chicken. Layer each piece of chicken with a slice of mozzarella cheese. (I had more chicken pieces then allotted space so I just layered a few pieces on top of another piece and had no problems.)

5. Pour marinara sauce over the chicken and spread so it covers all of the chicken.

6. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours. (Mine cooked on low for 4 1/2 hours and then started to burn a bit on the side. The chicken was cooked so I took it out. Keep an eye on the chicken!)

7. Cool and serve with pasta and veggies. Yumm!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
I'm in love with my slow cooker again. The tender chicken works out really well for Bambino so she's not chewing and chewing and chewing. It's much more easier for her to take down. When I eat chicken I prefer for it to be shredded as well, so this was perfect. Good stuff, I'll definitely make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment