Friday, December 16, 2011

Getting Creative with Leftovers: Chicken Chili Quesadillas


Because I usually cook dishes that only Hubby and Bambino eat, I always have a lot of leftovers. I hate making the two of them eat the same dish over and over again so usually I will freeze half of what I make and take it out and cook it on the stove/oven so it tastes fresh on another day. (I love those days, fresh food and I didn't cook anything new!) The chicken chili made a lot of servings and rather than freezing it (I have plenty of food in the freezer right now that I keep forgetting to take out.) I decided to mix it up a bit. I felt that the chicken and veggies would taste good in quesadillas and it has been awhile since I made them, so chicken chili quesadillas it was!

All I did was drain the chili, place it between two tortillas, add some cheese, bake it in the oven and voila! It came out pretty good. A bit soggy compared to how I usually make it, but over all it was like I made a brand new dish! We all three ate this dish! I also took an avocado, mashed it and added some lemon juice and salt. (Or as I call it, The Poor Man's Guacamole.) Hubby did not consume my pseudo guacamole but Bambino and I sure enjoyed it!

No link to this one, but I did get the idea for Quesadillas in the oven from the Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Baby Cookbook.

Ingredients
Leftover chicken chili (about 2 cups) drained
8 tortillas
1 teaspoon of olive oil per tortilla
1 cup shredded cheese of your taste

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2. Spray two rectangular cookie sheets with cooking spray.

3. Brush each tortilla with olive oil on each side.

4. Place about 1/4 cup of chicken chili on a tortilla and spread out. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and place a tortilla on top. Repeat for three more quesadillas.

5. Cook in oven for about 15 minutes per side. Remove from oven when tortillas appear crispy. Cut with a pizza cutter.

6. Cool and serve on its own or with sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo or whatever you prefer!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 2
This is super easy. And I love that it's a way of spicing up boring over leftovers. The family will think that you made something new when really you just threw together something that was already in the fridge!

This was genius, I must say.

No comments:

Post a Comment