Thursday, December 8, 2011

Goodbye, ExerciseTV

I know this is a cooking blog, but I must use this space to lament my pain and anguish over the end of ExerciseTV. If you have no idea what ExerciseTV is, then you cannot understand my grief at this time.

You see, I woke up this morning in the mood for Steve Maresca's workout Rock Hard Body by Jake
Extreme. I was ready to get out my 3 lb weight (as substituted for a medicine ball) and partake in some jump squats, reverse lunges with a twist and I was even ready for the push ups! But as I clicked on the bookmark of the free video on ExerciseTV's website I was told that there was an error in the server. So then I went to the main site only to read this,


WHAT?!!! How can you?! I just don't understand! At first I thought maybe it was some kind of ploy to get people to contact their cable company in order for them to renew their deal because the cable companies were requesting too much money from the channel. But then why would they shut down their website as well?

Then I did a little research on the Internet and came across this article. So while last month the owner of Exercise TV, Jake Steinfeld (yes, old school Body by Jake guy, you know who) was announcing new programs at the station, now the station is kaput?! They've even sold some of their stock?! What?! So this is real? For real for real?

What I loved so much about ExerciseTV is that while I do have quite a library of workout DVDs, I can regularly mix it up. For instance, today I did the 40 minute Kickbox Extreme workout and then was in the mood for some arm work so I did Cindy Whitmarsh's 10 minute armblast. I don't have enough dvd's to be able to mix it up like this!

So for now, I guess I have to accept the reality of an end to an era. I'll use this forum to say my goodbyes to all my favorite trainers, they've become like family, despite the fact they've never met me.

Steve Maresca... Oh Stevie, I'll miss the fact that your whimsical nature could make any kick butt workout fun. Even when I was mad at you for doing jump squats and another version of jump squats which you conveniently named something else back to back.

Cindy Whitmarsh...You and your rock hard abs at 40 years of age was so encouraging. Who else will have that pep in her step that you do?

Teri Ann Kefting... Your dorm room workout made me laugh, telling me to pretend I was kicking my English teacher when doing jump kicks. And your Big Day Bootcamp was one of my favorites! Despite your extreme sweating problems, you were great!  (And I saw you in the back of Cindy's arm workout today!)

Jillian Michaels... I first discovered you on ExerciseTV. (No, I don't watch Biggest Loser) I claim  your workouts were how I lost the pregnancy weight after having Bambino. I own four of your DVDs so it's no goodbye, but I don't get to preview your workouts for free before buying them anymore!

And so many more that I don't know where to start...

Until I find another free workout program I'll be using my Jillian Michaels workouts and will scour Amazon for low cost DVDs, but I know they won't be anything like Steve, Cindy and Teri Ann's workouts!

If you have any insider information on the situation, let me know!! Or just post your memories of ExerciseTV below.

No comments:

Post a Comment