Friday, December 2, 2011

Peanut Butter Pork Tenderloin


So the title may sound a little odd and the photo of the shredded pork may not look so enticing, but based on the comments made by Hubby, this is actually a great dish. (I do not eat pork. Chicken. That's chicken I occasionally eat.) I found this recipe last year on my favorite slow cooking blog. (I liked her blog so much that I gave a girlfriend of mine a slow cooker and the cookbook published by the author of the blog!) It looked easy to make and had Asian ingredients, so I knew I had to make it for Hubby.

The first time I made this dish was only the second time I had ever cooked a pork tenderloin. (Did that make sense?) The first time I made it was in a basic marinade and in the slow cooker. This time I was trying some different flavors but still in the slow cooker and it came out better than my first attempt at pork tenderloin. I think the flavors really mesh well together.

Now, I'm no David Chang (Momofuku? Heheh, I never get a chance to say the name of that restaurant.) when it comes to cooking Asian cuisine, but this dish definitely has some good Asian flavors and Hubby is always excited when I make it. I doubt it's authenticity for Asian food, but it tastes good for what it is. And I can personally say that it smells good too! I recall him once heating the leftovers in the microwave during his lunch break and someone commented on how good it smelled. (Yes, I revel in any praise I get!) 

Since the pork does cook in a slow cooker for four hours it does shred apart into pieces, as seen in the photo above. You could always cook it in the oven until it reaches an internal temp of 165 in order to keep the pork intact,  your choice. Oh! No, I didn't not feed this to Bambino, so no comments from Peanut's gallery. 


Ingredients
1.5 - 2 lbs pork tenderloin
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar (I was out of white wine vinegar so I used rice wine vinegar)
3 tablespoons water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter

Directions
1. Rinse pork with water and cut off all white parts. Cut slits into the top of the pork.

2. Whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, white wine vinegar, water, garlic and peanut butter. Pore over pork and marinade over night. 

3. Place in slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. (Midway through cooking flip the pork over and let the other side soak up the juices.)

4. Cool and serve! I served over vegetable fried rice. You can also serve over plain white rice. 

Amateur Difficulty Cooking Scale: 3
This one is a pretty simple one that Hubby loves. It really doesn't take too much work to put together and apparently the results are well received. Go make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment