Monday, June 18, 2012

Carrot Rice Loaf


No the prettiest of pictures, but I don't claim to be a professional, or even an amateur photographer. And I know, there's no excuse for the burnt edges. 

So I admit, I was curious about Bethenny Frankel's new talk show so I was perusing her website and came across some video clips. (Sorry, I cannot comment on the quality of her show as it is not being played in my city. I know, I'm probably missing out on her talking all over her guests as she has a knack for railroading a conversation, do we not remember the infamous "You need to get a hobby." voicemail?) I totally have the love/hate relationship with her. I find her to be a bit hypocritical with what she practices and what she preaches, but then I was hooked to her show and follow her on twitter. (Follow me on twitter, @TheTiffinGirl!- shameless plug, I know, but I only have 3 followers, one being my other twitter account!)

So anyways, I was perusing her website and was watching some clips of her with her daughter. Bethenny's daughter was born just 5 or 6 months after Bambina and I'm always interested in seeing parenting styles of celebrities, especially when their children are the same age as mine. (Another hypocritcal thing! I've read that she's raising her child as a vegetarian and only giving her organic produce, but I swear on her show Bethenny Ever After I saw her opening up cans of soup. I suppose she would claim they are organic cans of soup!) Anyways, she was feeding her daughter what she referred to as a meal in a loaf. It appeared to be
brown rice and maybe some corn too? I love one stop shop meals, especially for kids, makes for a quick meal time. 

I decided to search the Internet for brown rice loaf recipes and there were an abundant amount to choose from! I recall once making a lentil loaf that was pretty good, except that it had egg in it and I'm anti-egg thus it tasted it bit too eggy. I found a simple version of the loaf that had only brown rice, bread crumbs, carrot, milk and peanut butter. I know, peanut butter? Sounds like an odd combination, but surprisingly it came out pretty good! At least better than what I expected. When I served it to Bambino for dinner she devoured it, the next day at lunch she wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. The fickleness of toddlers.

Now, my father would highly disagree with the words pretty good to describe the loaf. He was spending the day with me and the kids when I brought out the loaf. I offered some to him to which he responded with "you lost me at brown rice." My father also does not like peanut butter so he was all but excited about the thought of brown rice and peanut butter combined. Wait one minute. He lied! I'm just now remembering him taking a peanut butter sandwich to work and me telling him to add some sliced banana to it like Bambina prefers. Oh the audacity of him to humiliate my oh-so-healthy loaf! I blame him for the reason Bambina refused to eat it on day two!

Overall, I found it to be pretty good. It's different, but not so shabby. I did feel it was missing some flavor, but I can't quite figure out what it is. Oh, and I didn't even mention to Hubby that I made this. His reaction would be on the same line as my father's!


I followed the recipe exactly as listed except I kept out the onions because I didn't have any. Maybe that's the flavor I was missing?! 

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 2
This one is very easy. While the brown rice is cooking, get all the other ingredients ready and then pop it into the oven. I'm not sure if I'll make this recipe again. I did like the brown rice flavor, but I think I may look up a different rice loaf recipe to try in the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment