Friday, June 22, 2012

Cheesy Vegetable Bread (or Muffins!)


A couple of months ago I was looking for something different to make Bambina to eat. She was starting to get a bit more...particular with what she chose to consume. She was growing tired of being adventurous and willing to eat everything and felt it was time to become a food coniseur. My easy food days were over and I was entering the world of a toddler who was particular of what she put into her mouth. (I hate to say a picky toddler because picky has such a negative connotation. And really, I'm one of the most difficult people to cook for, so she has nothing on me.) To add to that, her tastes change on an hourly basis. While she may be obsessed with guacamole one week the next week she refuses it and will revert back to something she abhorred the week before. It's like being front row at a Giambatista Valli show during Fashion Week, the coned bras that were in last season are out and the neon biker shorts that were out last season are in this season, I just can't keep up nor can predict it.

I knew Bambina loved cakes, muffins and breads, something that rarely changes, so I contemplated how I could put all the nutrition she needed in one meal, into a bread. I googled every form of vegetable meat breads as possible and it appeared that such a concoction is common in Australia, because it was only Australian sites that had the recipe.

The concept was very simple, flour, vegetables, milk, eggs, oil and cheese. Throw it all together, pop it into the oven and voila! The work required was minimal and the reaction from Bambina was great! The first time I made it I used mini muffins and she loved it (I also got high remarks from Hubby and my mom. My mother, the vegetarian, enjoyed herself a couple of muffins not knowing it had turkey meat in it!). This second time I made it I threw it into a loaf pan and it got less than stellar reviews from Bambina. So before she would eat it I would put some margarine on both sides and warm it up on a pan on the stove and that made her much more pleased.

Click here for the recipe.

My edits:
1.) Used potato, zucchini and carrot.
2.) Along with the cheese I added in garlic and sliced deli turkey.

I loved this recipe because you can exercise your creative side and add any vegetable or type of cheese your family prefers.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
Simple recipe that makes you feel like a Top Chef contestant in the quickfire challenge given 45 minutes to create muffins and just like Richard Blaise you make a savory dish, sans the liquid nitrogen of course. Basically, it makes you feel creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment