Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mexicali Pie


I had this post saved in my drafts from March, so I thought I'd share...


Yes, it's partly eaten, but this way you can see the layers! I know, I know, not the prettiest of photos.

I made this recipe on a day when I had a real itch to make something new. I was tired of making the same dishes and I could tell that Hubby and Bambino were tired of eating the same foods. I searched toddler friendly recipes on Google (Toddler friendly equates with Hubby friendly) and came across this. It looked interesting and different. And most importantly, it looked easy!

With Hubby's history with cornbread, I wasn't sure if he would like the recipe, but it was a hit! He said that the cornbread complimented the meat layer and Bambino scarfed down a heaping helping which I had mashed together with some fresh guacamole I made. Overall, big hit! Will definitely be making it again!

Click here for the Mexicali Pie Recipe
My changes
1. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef
2. I added in kidney beans
3. Instead of canned tomatoes, I used 1 cup chopped roma tomatoes and 1 cup of salsa.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
This is a pretty simple recipe, I must say. The two components are the meat mixture and the cornbread, but then it all bakes together. Easy peasy, definitely going into heavy rotation!

No comments:

Post a Comment