Monday, June 25, 2012

Oatmeal Banana Bread


I really hate wasting food. Not that I never do it (Oops, double negative. Major grammatical faux pas, I know.), but I think over 30 years of my mother guilting me into never wasting food it really sunk in. She would always tell my brother and I not to put too much on our plates and waste it but rather put a small amount then go back for more if we're still hungry. I'm always telling Hubby this and when Bambina doesn't finish her food I make Hubby and I try and eat it. I will often freeze portions of what I make so as to not go bad, but of course, come trash day I'm always cleaning out the fridge and finding foods to throw away. It's so wasteful, and makes me think of the poor children sticking their hands into the rickshaws in India begging for money to buy food. (Although, if Slumdog Millionaire has any truth to it I suppose they were actually making money for their alleged guardian. Hmm, I do recall being at a train station in Delhi and seeing small children put on a little show and then going around with their hats collecting money. But I digress...) I do my best, but what more can I do?

So when I have fruits that are beginning to overripe, and we definitely can't eat it, I look for recipes to make them into cakes and breads. I make banana bread a lot, a lot-a lot. Actually, we had just finished a loaf of it last week when I had three bananas that were completely overripe. So I looked up recipes to make something different and healthy when I came across Oatmeal Banana Bread.

The results were fantastic! For having more egg whites than eggs and having whole wheat flour it was so moist and yumtacular! (Yeah, that's right yummy + spectacular= yumtacular. My lexicon tends to have words that may not fit in your repertoire, but embrace it. It doesn't have to be in Webster's to exist as a word, or does it?) Bambina and Hubby also enjoyed it. Hubby said it tasted even better with margarine on it, but I felt it was perfect as is. He easily could have said that because I told him it was made with whole wheat flour, which he's not a fan of. Overall, he must have enjoyed it because I made the bread on Friday and there's only one slice left. I bought extra bananas this week so that I can make the bread again when the bananas ripen!

Click here for the recipe

My edits:
1.) Used 3 ripened bananas
2.) Used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour 
3.) Replaced baking soda for baking powder and used a total of 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
While it may look like there are a lot of ingredients to this, there really are not. It was as easy to make as any other banana bread. Also, you can easily add in raisins, walnuts or chocolate chips to the recipe or even bake it in muffin tins instead of a bundt or loaf pan. I wanted to keep it simple this time and follow the recipe and it came out so good that I think I will stick straight to the recipe next time. (Except for my edits, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment