Thursday, June 21, 2012

Skinnygirl Margarita: Not a paid endorsement #3


Mmm... As I write this I can taste the cold refreshing  margarita smoothly slide down my throat unlike the usual frozenly sweet and acidic generic margarita you get at every Tex-Mex restaurant. Between pregnancy and nursing I haven't indulged in a Skinnygirl margarita in almost a year, I know, tragic. But we shall embark on our love affair again, soon I hope.

I've never been a big margarita drinker. I've had nothing against it, but I just found that anything mass produced in a large mixing machine with ice doesn't always taste the best. From my experience of margaritas it always tasted more like sweet and sour mixer and less like tequila, not that I need a drink overpowered with tequila, but I also don't need a drink that solely tastes of sweet and sour mix. That and the fact that the day after my 21st birthday (Yes, you know the condition you are in the next day) I went to a mexican restaurant where the margarita machine was on the fritz and the putrid smell emulating from the bar was indescribable. (Why we stayed and ate there is beyond me. Why my family still frequents this establishment on a regular basis is due to sheer blockage of memory.) So that's why I don't do frozen margaritas.

It wasn't until after graduate school that I experienced the margarita on the rocks. Before that my only experience of margarita on the rocks was a friend's boyfriend in college, who I often made fun of behind his back of course, who would always order a margarita on the rocks at every bar we would frequent. Ok, when it's $1 wells night and everyone is ordering a beer (And me Smirnoff Ice, I'm sure he was making fun of me behind my back) he would order a margarita. I found that so odd.

So after graduate school there was a South American restaurant my family would visit and my father and brother would always order the margarita on the rocks, which got me to try it. It completely changed my opinion of margaritas! It literally wiped the stench of the margarita machine from my nose. (Ok, so maybe not completely. I can kind of smell it while I write this.) But I did enjoy the taste. It tasted much more fresh rather than mass produced in a machine. There's something to be said about individuality. Oh and it was strong! See, that's what I love about margaritas on the rock, it can be made based on your preference.

My only problem with margaritas, whether frozen or on the rocks, is that they are highly caloric and leave you with a wicked hangover the next day. (A friend once told me that the more mixer in your drink, the worse the hangover so stick to hard liquor, not sure if this is true? Although I do believe that a hangover is due to alcohol withdrawal, so I'm not sure how the sweetener effects that?)  So for these reasons it was never my go to drink, I only dabbled in one or two while consuming Tex-Mex food.

Years ago when watching season 1 of The Real Housewives of New York City I watched as Bethenny had dinner with Luann and ordered a Skinnygirl Margarita which contained clear, premium tequila, fresh lime juice and a splash of triple sec. I was intrigued! Now, I'm not confident enough to order this in a bar (nor remember the ingredients other than tequila), but always wanted to try it. (I recall Alexis once ordering some similar concoction on Housewives of OC. I was embarrassed for her, trying to coin a similar drink. Sad.)

When Bethenny actually marketed and distributed this  Skinnygirl Margarita, I was ecstatic! Finally I get to try this amazing drink! Unfortunately, everywhere I went looking for it did not have it. Finally it took me going to a Spec's (Do you have Spec's in your neck of the woods? I think it may be a Texas liquor store, it's all over this city) to find the beverage. And sadly, it's constantly sold out.

So finally I got to try the drink and it was amazing! It held up to all the hype. It's an amazing margarita that doesn't give me a hangover (regular margaritas give me a headache if I just drink one!) and...and...and it's low in calories! There are only 38 calories in 1.5 oz. Now, of course I drink more than that (Imagine the massive goblets margaritas come in. I've even seen them come in fishbowls!), but still, compared to the trillion calories in a frozen margarita it's much healthier and tastes better too!

After loving the Skinnygirl Margarita I thought I'd venture out and try another one of Bethenny...err Jim Beam's (She recently sold her Skinnygirl drinks to Jim Beam to a supposed whopping tune of 120 million smackers) drinks, the Skinnygirl Sangria. Do you hear the sound of tires coming to a screeching hault? Yeah, not so fast there, Bethe...Jim Beam. Just because you beyond exceeded with the margarita doesn't mean you can manufacture more. Not only did I not like the drink, I was repulsed by it. I couldn't even finish the glass and gave the rest of the bottle to a friend who had yet to experience the high standard of the Skinnygirl Margarita.

Jim Beam now has a line of Skinnygirl cocktails, vodkas and wines. Wines? Really. Wine is wine. I don't find it has something that I need to make low calorie to enjoy. Wine isn't highly caloric in the first place and drinking wine should be chosen by taste composition not by calorie count. (This coming from the wine dilettante.) So I have no interest in buying a bottle of any of the other drinks and risk losing out on 13 bucks. (That's how much I spent on the margarita.)

If you can find the Skinnygirl Margarita in your neighborhood store, buy it! Sadly, I can only find the damn Sangria in my grocery stores and not the margarita. It takes venturing out to the liquor store to buy it, assuming they even have it in stock. If you find it, horde up like you're preparing for a hurricane and need alcohol to keep you entertained when you don't have power for two weeks. (If you don't live near the Gulf of Mexico, you won't understand this reference.)  Perfect summertime drink, winter drink or any time of the year drink. Just be cautious if you try an alternative Skinnygirl drink, you can't reach perfection with every try. 

Images
skinnygirlcocktails.com
http://www.aricortes.com/2011/02/22/happy-national-margarita-day/milagrorocksmargarita1/
bravotv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment