Friday, December 7, 2012

Brown Rice Pilaf


So I've made the realization that when I concoct my own recipes they come out much better than when I follow a recipe. Perhaps I'm an idiot savant in the culinary world? Or maybe I'm just not good at following directions but when I throw together ingredients that the family likes, they come out great?! I'm going to go with the latter.

With everyone's palate so different in the family, I cook different foods for everyone. Literally, even baby Bambino has started eating so I have to make baby food as well! I rarely cook for myself, but instead eat a bowl of cereal or oatmeal or will throw a veggie burger in the toaster and smother it with some hummus I've made for Bambina.

After making Bambina a carrot and rice pilaf yesterday (and eating what she didn't finish) I had the craving to eat a big bowl of it. I decided to use brown rice instead of white since my vegetarian diet tends to be high in starches anyways. I used the same basic recipe as jeera rice that my mother taught me, except that I used brown rice and whatever vegetables I had laying around.

The result, a great brown rice dish! It was spectacular and I ate a heaping, healthy bowl of it. I actually wanted to use black beans, but all I had were chick peas. I also wanted to throw in some avocado on top, but unfortunately my avocados weren't ripened yet. Bummer. Next time.

No link to reference to as this is a Tiffin Girl Original.

Ingredients
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used olive since I was all out vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup peas (I used the frozen variety)
1/2 cup corn (Again, frozen)
1 cup cooked chick peas
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes chopped in half
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Once oil is warmed, throw in cumin seeds. (They should start to bubble and pop if the oil is heated properly).

2. Once cumin seeds have popped, add in garlic. Saute garlic until softened.

3. Add in brown rice and coat with the oil mixture. Add in peas, corn and chick peas. Saute until vegetables are heated. .

4. Add in cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are to your liking. (I prefer the tomatoes to be just barely cooked. Or in carnivore terms, rare.)

Amateur Cooking Scale: 2
This is extremely simple, folks. Doesn't get much easier than this unless you are boiling water. It's simple, healthy and tasty what more can you ask for?

You can easily add in any vegetable or bean that you like, just make sure you cook the vegetables through.

No comments:

Post a Comment