Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sausage and Peppers





As I was blowing the dust over my recipe box I knew it was time for some new recipes in there. Hubby never complains about the dishes I make, but I was tired of cooking him the same foods. I remembered hearing about a dish called sausage and peppers. I believe it's something that is commonplace in the lexicon of carnivores, so I figured I would attempt to make it. My only familiarity with it is seeing it cooked on Top Chef All Stars by either Dale Talde or Mike Isabella, I can't remember who. Most likely the Italiano, Mikey.

And of course, my homegirl Giada cooked it on an episode of her show, so I had to execute the dish. In the past, I had once made my own version of sausage and peppers with a little orzo and goat cheese, but after watching the Giada recipe I see that my concoction has very little similarity to the Italian original. At least it tasted good, according to Hubby who frequently requests it.

So I searched foodnetwork.com for the recipe, and it appeared that every Food Network chef has their version of the dish. I made sure to adhere to Giada's Italian American version since I like to give the skinny mini chef (oxymoron much?) her props.

Hubby recalled once eating the dish as a sandwich (as in in the Giada recipe) so I bought some fresh bread from H-E-B. Overall it was a big hit! Granted, as seen in the above photo he added mass Parmesan (more than what's in the photo), but he ate all the leftovers so that's a good sign!

If you don't like the thought of a messy sandwich, don't let that deter you from making the recipe, you can easily eat this over poletna, pasta or orzo.

I did make some variations from Giada's version, so you can click on the link to the see the differences. I halved the amount of meat called for in the recipe but kept all the other ingredients the same. Also, I omitted the onions (which is actually in the title of the dish) since Hubby dislikes the rooted vegetable.

Click here for the original recipe

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 Hot Italian Sausages
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup Marsala wine
1 roma tomato, chopped
3 sandwich rolls

Directions
1. Heat oil on a heavy skillet on medium high heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and drain.

2. Add peppers, salt and pepper and cook until browned. Add oregano and garlic and cook about two minutes.

3. Add tomato paste and stir. Add in Marsala wine and scrape up all brown bits from the pan. Bring to a boil and then let simmer.

4.Cut the sausage and add back to the pan. Let the sauce simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.



5. When ready to serve, place in rolls and ring the dinner bell! (Or serve over your starch of choice, or for you Atkins believers, eat it sans anything)

Amateur Difficulty Cooking Scale: 4
I was surprised at just how simple this dish was. It didn't take much time at all to make and it was a big hit. Looks like something that's going into heavy rotation around here!


No comments:

Post a Comment