Saturday, December 15, 2012

Sugar and Spice Candied Nuts


I've noticed recently that an old post of mine, cinnamon candied cashews, has been getting a lot of hits recently. I'm assuming with it being holiday time everyone is wanting some candied nuts, but I was surprised that people were getting directed to my page when googling the words "cinnamon candied cashews." Surely there were plenty of other sites that came up when you searched it. And so I put my google skills to work. (And no I was not scroogledBing! How dare you get political and bash your competitor in your ads?! Why don't you create mTunes and sell music for cheaper than $1.29 a song and then maybe we can talk.) And when I googled it, my dinky blog post came up as the top search result! I'm flattered, I'm honored, I'm shocked! Even though it was a recipe that I got from some fancy shmancy food blog that has photos that weren't taken on an iPhone with a small child tugging on your shirt screaming for her Chuck E. Cheese cup, my post comes first. Now if you search the recipe for cinnamon candied cashew cookies (where the recipe for the cashews were found) his site comes first and mine second, but still second to fancy shmanciness!

So anyways, because of all the hits I was in the mood for some candied nuts, but I thought I'd try another recipe, something that was maybe spicy? I searched for spicy mixed nuts and came across a sugar and spice nuts recipe. Sure, why not! So I made the recipe and it was so good! Now, I did not get any spice all sugar, but it quenched the missing sweet spot on my palatte so I loved it. The recipe is very similar to the cinamon candied cashews except for I used mixed nuts, salt and some paprika. I think next time I may throw in more paprika to get more of a mix of sweet and heat.

Click here for the original recipe

Ingredients
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 lb nuts (I used mixed nuts, but find that it tastes best on the cashews and pecans. Additionally, the recipe doesn't specify raw or roasted, but I used roasted and unsalted.)
1 egg white
1 Tbsp water

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix sugars, salt, paprika and cinnamon.

2. Beat egg white and water until frothy. Add in nuts.

3. Sprinkle in sugar mixture and mix to coat.

4 Spread nuts on on a single layer cookie sheet. (Recipes says to lay with parchment paper, but I sprayed with cooking spray, but I still had the sugar mixture stuck to the cookie sheet.) Bake for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and separate nuts as they cool.

5. Indulge!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 2
This is really simple and great to give out as a gift to a hostess of a holiday party. Beware, these will disappear quickly after making. (I'm the only one eating them and they are still disappearing quickly!)

I let Bambina try one and she spit it right out. So not toddler friendly in The Tiffin Girl family!  

No comments:

Post a Comment