Friday, January 11, 2013

Brothy Chineese Noodles

If you read about my cupcake quandry, then the discrepancy in the below photos shouldn't surprise you.

Recipe photo...
Brothy Chinese Noodles Recipe

My photo...

I've excepted that I'm not a chef nor am I a professional photographer and instead have adopted my blog photos as cute and quaint, it's my shtick, don't you think? Ok, so denial isn't just a river in Egypt, but I digress. My own introspection should be saved for another blog post.

So I was looking up healthy recipes to make for Hubby when I came across this one. Not sure what words I used to search, but this was something different than the usual one pot rice, pasta and stew dishes that I usually make. (Granted this is a thick soup with noodles, but it's different!) Anyways, I was hesitant to make it at first because I thought it was unusual with the ground turkey Asian soup combination, I had never seen that before, but I knew the Hubs likes ground turkey, noodles and most things Asian so I thought I'd give it a try.

The result? After a leery eyed glance from Hubby and a hesitant bite the response was, "Wow. This is like really good Top Ramen." So there you have it, folks. Looking for some highbrow Top Ramen to impress your college girlfriend? Well why not a this recipe along with a bottle of 2 buck chuck from Trader Joe's? She'll think she's dining at Mr. Chow!

So Hubby really liked the end result and enjoyed eating the leftovers (There's still more in the fridge.).  The only problem is that the amount of broth called for in the recipe is not enough.(So much for the title of the dish.) After reading the reviews it appeared that broth was a problem in other kitchens as well. To compensate I added more broth, but it didn't help. The noodles absorbed every last bit of the broth and ended up bloating the noodles making my dish look like Fernando Botero painting.



Ingredients
2 tablespoons hot sesame oil
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 bunch green onions, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
4 cups chicken broth (I used 6 cups)
3/4 cup water
3 cups thinly sliced bok choy
8 oz dried Chinese noodles (found in the Asian section of the grocery store)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar

Directions
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ground turkey, green onions, ginger and garlic and cook until turkey is browned. Transfer to plate. (I drained the meat at this point.)

2. In the same pot add broth, water  bok choy, soy sauce, vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until noodles are tender, 3-5 minutes. Return the turkey mixture to the pan and stir to combine. (Take the pot off of the heat as soon as noodles are tender otherwise it will absorb more broth, which was my mistake.)

3. Serve with green onion and thinly sliced cucumber as desired. Oh! Hubby dotted the dish with some Sriracha sauce to spice it up. I had added some to the broth, but apparently it wasn't enough. 

Amateur Cooking Scale: 4
This recipe was pretty quick to make and I thought it was going to end up in the trash, so I was very surprised with how excited Hubby was to eat the leftovers! This will definitely be a dish going into heavy rotation! 


Images
http://artodyssey1.blogspot.com/2012/10/botero-fernando-botero-i.html

No comments:

Post a Comment