Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chicken Fried Rice


When I think of comfort food I think of rice. However you want to make it, fried, pilaf, pulao (whatever the difference) it's all good. I prefer me some glutenous, refined sugar white rice. Better yet, make it Indian style with a dollop of yogurt on top, yum! What you think of Macaroni and Cheese or even a Hamburger that is to what I dream of rice! And this goes way back. As a child my mother said all I ate was rice and yogurt with cut up hot dog in it. (Apparently I wasn't a vegetarian as a child.) Serve me up a big ol' plate of my youth right now! Minus the hot dog of course.

Sun Bird Fried Rice Seasoning Packet, .75 oz. (Pack of 12)So I make a lot of rice, Hubby loves it. East Asian, Indian, Mexican, Creole, from whatever culture it is, if it has rice I'll make it! Fried rice is a dish Hubby and I love, but it's loaded with fat so we never order it in restaurants, but I do like to make it at home a la healthful.  In the past I have used the Sun Bird brand of spice packet to make fried rice, but after watching an episode of Bill's Food on the cooking channel, I saw how simply fried rice was made, cooked rice, garlic, vegetables, chicken and a scrambled egg. So simple! So why the processed package o' seasoning? Rather than add in the additives, I could easily make fried rice with staples around the house and so I did.

Fried rice has now become a staple around the house. I take whatever vegetables and protein I have laying around the house and throw it in with some rice and soy sauce and voila, throw out that Pei Wei menu, dinner is served! I've even made this dish with a left over roast and hubby loved it!

Don't feel you have to follow the exacts for this recipe, just throw in what you like and taste your way through the process cooking for you and your family's palette. And this can easily be made vegetarian by omitting the meat.

Ingredients
1 Tbsp sesame oil (easily replaced with vegetable oil)
1/2 cup cooked rice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stem green onions, chopped
1 medium carrot, shredded
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 egg
1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
soy sauce to taste (About 2 tsp? Not sure, I just throw in and taste)
1 tsp sambal paste or sriracha sauce (optional)

Directions
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add in garlic. Saute until softened. Throw in rice, green onions, carrot, peas and corn. Saute.

2. Sprinkle with soy sauce and taste. Add in chicken and cook until everything is heated through.

3. Push all your rice to one side and throw in the beated egg and scramble it right there next to your rice. Once scrambled, mix it into your rice. (If you prefer, you can scramble your egg in a separate pan and throw it in)

4. Add hot seasoning to rice and adjust to preference.

5. You're done, so eat!

Amateur Cooking Scale: 3
This dish doesn't take much work at all. I know I'm not exact with measurements it's because I make this dish to taste, which makes it even easier for you!

This dish is a staple around my kitchen, it's so easy to take leftovers and make it into a fresh, new dish. I actually have some leftover peanut butter pork tenderloin that I plan to make into a fried rice dish tomorrow. I wasn't joking when I said I make this often!


Images
http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Fried-Rice-Seasoning-Packet/dp/B005TV8D3

No comments:

Post a Comment