Thursday, January 3, 2013

Stuffed Mushrooms


Happy New Years, folks! I hope you survived the holidays and aren't feeling like a glutenous mess that regrets that third mini snickers bar you consumed that was left over from making a Snickers cheesecake. No new years resolution for this Tiffin Girl, just no plans to eat three mini snickers bars in one sitting and then having a slice of the Snickers cheesecake.

I'm sure you too are tired of all the holiday foods, candied nuts, sparkling cocktails, cheese-phyllo appetizer concoctions (Wait, what am I tired of again? Where did that bag of Snickers go?), but I was impressed with how simple, healthy and appetizing this recipe was so I had to share.

So I was looking for some appetizer recipes and I thought of the stuffed mushrooms my parents always get at Cheesecake Factory. I know, sounds very pedestrian, similar to the stuffed jalapenos on Top Chef last week, but Colicchio did say that when done appropriately, with fresh vegetables and nothing processed or canned it doesn't matter the stereotype of the dish is, as long as it tastes well. (Does that mean Tom eats spinach dip in a bread bowl?)


So I went with the stuffed mushrooms due to popular demand and overall it came out well. Simple to make, healthy to eat and tasted scrumptious. (Even the cold one that I consumed!) Oh yeah, and people enjoyed it too. (It could be because people were starving waiting for the proteins to finish on the grill.)


Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
18-24 button or cremini mushrooms scrubbed clean with stems removed. (I just bought a large package of mushrooms, I assume those were button?)
1 Tbsp butter (I used vegetable oil)
2 small shallots, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
salt
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp herbes de Provence
2 Tbsp bread crumbs
2 Tbsp sherry or chicken stock (I used vegetable stock)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Chop the mushroom stems finely. Heat 1 Tbsp butter on medium high heat. Saute chopped mushroom stems and shallots for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and walnuts and sprinkle with salt. Saute 2 minutes.

3. Turn off heat and add parsley, herbes de Provence and breadcrumbs.

4. Pour sherry (or stock) into a food processor and then add the rest of the stuffing. Pulse several times to get a fine mixture, almost a paste.

5. Toss the mushrooms with olive oil. Fill each mushroom with stuffing and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese browns.

6. Cool and serve!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4 
While it may seem like there are a few steps to this, it really didn't take too long to make and it was well received. This is a great appetizer dish to bring to a potluck or if you're having friends over for cocktails. While it may be a cliched appetizer dish, as long as people like it, its worth making! (And I still make spinach dip in a bread bowl, thank you very much.)

Images
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/spinach-dip-in-bread-bowl/acf85231-d668-4448-acd0-aa6fc1ee6b3e

No comments:

Post a Comment