Monday, February 25, 2013

The Academy Awards: And The Ladies Brought it Out


I am not a movie person, most of my life resolves around Bravo, PBS and the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Occasionally I stray to watch How I Met Your Mother or the Mindy Project, but usually veer back to Housewives. The movies I do enjoy are 60s Movies, specifically Disney movies (Like the original Parent Trap or the original Shaggy Dog) and Doris Day movies. And of course the cheesy teenage 80s movies like anything Molly Ringwald, Girls Just Want to Have Fun and well you get the jist.  I say this so you will understand when I say that I have not seen any of the movies that were nominated for Best Picture,  nor  have I heard of most of them. (I was familiar with Argo from seeing an interview on the news with the man the movie was centered around.) So of course I cannot tell you who won and who lost last night, but I can tell you what I thought about the clothes!

Celebrities Hide of Paparazzi (9)Can I just say the women really stepped up after this mediocre award season. I think much of the reason is because the A-listers stepped out and they know how to dress. When I say A-listers, I'm talking about the women that are legitimate movie stars who actually choose to veer away from the papparazzi rather than eat dinner at The Ivy with their ex-boyfriend in hopes to make it to the cover of Us Weekly with a title questioning whether she is back together with her ex. No, no. These ladies live in gated communities with security guards and don't shop on Robertson Ave, and when they do go shopping they wear a ball cap and glasses so not to be recognized. So no, they don't need to dress in some hideous garb to gain attention a la Bjork and the swan dress, they dress in what they and their stylist find appropriate and fitting for their body type and age. And with said equation the results were gorgeous!

While reviewing these styles I felt like Tom Colicchio having to critique two amazing dishes and send someone home. There was a lot of nitpicking of what was best and what wasn't quite as good, but there was nothing that was blatantly bad. Ok, so maybe Helena Bonham Carter, but that's just her own style and so I chose to not even place her on this list. 

And with that said, lets admire the chic attire from last night...

Best Dressed
jennifer lawrence oscar dress 2013jennifer lawrence oscar dress 2013
Jennifer Lawrence
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and agree that Jennifer was the best dressed. The silhouette of the gown, the backwards necklace and the pulled back hair. Breathtaking. Only she could still look beautiful after her tumble up the stairs to accept her award.
gty jennifer lawrence fall thg 130224 wblog Oscars 2013: Jennifer Lawrence Trips on Her Way to Collect Best Actress Award


Charlize Theron
Despite the channeling of Demi Moore in GI Jane (which I'm hoping is for a movie), the dress is stunning. I love large bracelets and the rest of the jewelry being minimal. 

Jennifer Garner
I was a little hesitant of the feather ruffles in the back, but together with the print, the cut, the blinged out jewelry and the loosely pulled back hair she looks beautiful. Perfect accessory for the winner of Best Picture.

Sandra Bullock
Sandy's sleek straight hair slightly pulled back, the homage to a 1920's flapper girl and flawless make up is a winning combination.     

Reese Witherspoon
The color, the fabric, the cut is all perfect for Reese's body type. I love the hairstyle, while I prefer up do's with strapless dresses, she did it right.

Stacey Kiebler
As a girl who is simply George Clooney's eye candy (Sorry, honey) she looks amazing. The shoulder cut is pleasing to her athletic but slim build and the pulled up hair gives a full visual of the dress. Amazing.

Judith Holste
I'm not quite sure who she is, the wife of an actor, I presume? Regardless, the woman knows how to dress her age in a chic manner. Her dress and hairstyle is beautiful and classic. 

Queen Latifah
The Queen has traveled far from her U.N.I.T.Y days. She found the perfect fit for her figure. Beautiful color, silhouette and jewelry. 

Alicia Vikander
I have no idea who this woman is, but I think she is the second best dressed after Jennifer Lawrence. This dress is stunning! I don't care for the yellow colored belt, but the look is so gorgeous that I can negate the belt. Love! 

Almost Best Dressed
Naomi Watts
For some reason I feel an intense bond to this dress, but then when I look up and see the exposed shoulder I vehemently dislike it. If only it were covered up, or all strapless it would be best dressed. And I actually like the bouffant!

Kerry Washington
This dress is beautiful, the coral color is lovely against her skin, but what happneed to the hair? Is it brushed?  It looks like she just got out of a convertible.

Olivia Munn
I love Olivia Munn. She's exotically gorgeous, but throws down some serious funny. I had such high expectations for her and she fell short. I love the dramatic hair and make-up, but the bottom half of the dress looks like a fairy tale gown, the poor girl takes her drapes and throws them around her body like a ball gown in the hopes of impressing the prince. Take out the sariesque  style and the gold embroidery and its beautiful.

Amy Adams
I kept going back and forth with this one, first she was best dressed and then she was worst dress. I love the color of the dress, the bodice and the hair, but the feathered petticoat isn't quite working. It's just too much.

Samantha Barks
I absolutely adore this dress, the tousled hair, but it's just doesn't have that oomph that you wear to the Oscars. It's more appropriate for a black tie affair, but not the Oscars. Oh, and who is Samantha?

Worst Dressed
Nicole Kidman
I don't know what's going on with Nicole, she's had a rough award season, she's hit my worst dress every time. This dress just looks like a disco ball that's lost it's shimmer. The accent colors don't work and her hair is in her face. Just bad.

Jennifer Aniston
Rachel, what were you thinking? This dress just isn't working for her. I think she was trying to go for a different style, but it just isn't her. She has a very slim figure and I think this dress is meant for more of a curvy, buxom girl. Or maybe it just doesn't fit appropriately? Is it me, or is it reminiscent to Lea Michele at the SAG Awards, which I also didn't care for?

Helen Hunt
Yes, I know this dress was H&M, but just because it's the dress of an affordable, trendy, mall invading store, doesn't make it look good. It needs to be steamed, perhaps if so it would look better? The material is too similar to a bridesmaid dress. 

Sally Field
Oh, Gidg. You usually always bring it out, but what happened? It's just all around wrong. I don't even know what to say.

\
Jane Fonda
Jane knows how to carry herself with some attitude, and this dress style is perfect for her, but the fluorescent color completely negates the entire look. Were it in black or navy blue she would have been best dressed. Unfortunately she just looks like a crossing guard.

The Preggers Category
Georgina Chapman
This is a beautiful maternity dress. I love that she doesn't feel the need to have her chest on parade as many Hollywood women feel the need to due when pregnant. Elegant, yet conservative. Gorge.

Jenna Dewan-Tatum
Jenna is absolutely stunning in this dress. The hair, the make-up she looks amazing!

As usual, we shall conclude with Giules. While the dress is Oscar appropriate, what happened to the hair? She usually is all over the place with her hairstyles on E! News, but ever since she got this haircut, she doesn't experiment too much. She desperately needed an up-do.

Giuliana Rancic

I was highly impressed with the attire last night. The women were absolutely stunning and I love that there were no obnoxious statement pieces, although Jane Fonda's just may be toying with that title!

Now can anyone tell me who won or lost? Does any of that matter? No, I'm too busy watching Bravo anyways.

Click below for links to the images.

Images
Jessica Alba

No comments:

Post a Comment