Monday, March 18, 2013

Prosciutto Wrapped Mozzarella




This is appetizer recipe is one I make quite often when we have guests over not only because Hubby always requests it, but it's also super easy to make and appears sophisticated, or so it does in the Tiffin Girl household. I can't remember the first time I made this dish, I feel like it's been in my repertoire for quite awhile. I think it may have been for Bambina's first birthday party. We can all admit that a 1 year old's birthday party is really for the parents and their friends, not for their kids. Hooray, I survived a year of sleepless nights, incessant crying and poopy diapers!  The dish was gone quickly, but it quite possibly could have been because of Hubby. Seriously, this snack to him is like chocolate to a hormonal woman. 

The dish can be a little costly if you have a large crowd considering prosciutto is not the cheapest of ingredients. And neither are fresh mozzarella balls. I usually get the smallest size of mozzarella balls and cut the prosciutto thinly so the prosciutto goes a longer way. Granted, people probably just eat more of it that way, but at least it looks like you have more! 

The recipe actually calls for basil and cherry tomatoes as well, but hubby doesn't care for tomatoes and one time I made it without basil, because I forgot to buy it at the store, and hubby still loved it so now I make it with just prosciutto and mozzarella. For the vegetarians, at Bambina's bday party, I made caprese skewers and placed it next to this dish with mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and basil with a little olive oil sprinkled over it.


Ingredients
8 thin slices of prosciutto (halved)
8 small mozzarella balls (If also using cherry tomatoes, half the balls)
8 cherry tomatoes halved (optional)
8 large basil leaves torn to pieces (optional)
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
toothpicks

Directions
Wrap prosciutto and torn basil around halved mozzarella balls and halved cherry tomatoes. Secure with toothpick. After all are complete, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper.

 Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 2
This is one of the easiest recipes in my appetizer collection (and one of the few), it takes very little work. Although, the more you make, the more tedious it becomes, thus the score of 2. 

It's easy. It's chic. I've been told it's tasty. So why not make it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment