Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spicy Goat Cheese Meatloaf

Sorry folks, no photo for this one. It was kind of a throw together meal after finding a recipe that I had all the ingredients for, so I wasn't sure how Hubby would like it and whether it would be blogable. Big mistake. You see, the night before I took some chicken, spinach and feta sausage that I oozed out of the casing and mixed it with some marinara sauce and pasta only for it to be denied, so I wasn't sure how this was going to go. But luckily, such wasn't the case for the meatloaf.

I have a meatloaf recipe that is in heavy rotation around here. It's actually a Giada recipe that I shockingly I stick to the exact recipe! Hubby loves it as does anyone else I've made this dish for, including friends and family. My brother even asked for the recipe and my mom makes it too! So I don't usually stray from something so beloved, but I hadn't hit the grocery store yet, so I needed to make dinner with what existed around the house. I decided on a simple meatloaf with a vegetable pilaf, but I had no sun dried tomatoes or feta, so Giada was not going to be making an appearance in our kitchen.

So I perused the internet for goat cheese meatloaves since I had goat cheese and turkey meat. You may think it odd for including goat cheese in meatloaf, but since feta cheese meatloaf is a hit with the Hubs, why not goat cheese? And that's what I had! Surprisingly there were quite a few goat cheese recipes, and when I landed on one in which I actually had the ingredients for, score!

Now when you think about the random hodge podge that goes into a meatloaf recipe, you would never think it would actually come out tasting good, at least that's what I think. But as a vegetarian I don't actually eat the meatloaf, so maybe if I ate it, as a carnivore of course, knowing what's in the recipe I wouldn't like it? No, I doubt it. But seriously, from Worcestershire sauce, to milk, to tomato paste it's such an odd combination!

So Hubby ate the spicy goat cheese meatloaf with rice quickly before his basketball game on Monday night. At first he asked if this was a new recipe, to which I was a little worried on where this conversation was heading. And then he asked what I put in it, uh oh, I thought. I'm really doomed. And then after finishing his plate he told me it was really good and had a kick to it. Yay, he liked it! I assumed goat cheese, hotness and meat he would of course devour. What more does he need?

And so I've found another meatloaf recipe that pleased the Hubby. Next I'll have to make it for my dad and see if it gets his seal of approval.

Click here for the original recipe.

The original recipe is actually some kind of stuffed meatloaf where you're supposed to spread the goat cheese on the meat and then roll it like a jelly roll or something? I don't know, but I chose to just dump all the ingredients together and no one was of the wiser.

Ingredients
1 lb lean ground turkey (or beef if you choose)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
2 cloves garlic, minced (recipe calls for 1/4 cup onion, but Hubby doesn't like onions)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 pkg goat cheese, crumbled
2 Tbsp millk
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp ketchup or tomato paste (I used ketchup)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix all ingredients except meat. Once all are mixed together, then add in meat and mix. Careful not to over mix.

3. Spray loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place meat mixture in.

4. Bake in oven for about 45 minutes to an hour until done. (I baked for an hour.)

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
I like to make meatloaf only because it's simple, mix it together and bake it in the oven dish. My Sweet Pea is not the biggest fan of meatloaf, but if I slice it thin, add a slight of cheese and grill it like a sandwich I can get her to eat it too. Two people's meal out of one dish, a rarity in this house! Although, I didn't try it with this dish since it was a bit spicy.

Definitely incorporating this into heavy rotation around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment