Monday, April 22, 2013

Breaking the Chains of Deprivation Diets!

How do you spell deprivation?

When I think of the word diet images of large glasses of water and sticks of celery come to mind. I'm reminded of the Cosby show episode where Clair feeds the kids a luscious dinner and Cliff is fed a salad of lettuce tomatoes and carrots with fresh lemon juice as a dressing only for him to later be snuck a heaping helping of some ethnic food Theo brings over from a friends house which is later topped off with a large hoagie and an orange type soda. Ahh, the inevitability of restriction leaving to an overtime appetite.

Our society is consumed with diets. If you watch any of the morning Network news programs, you know that they are constantly bombarding us with how to lose 5lbs through dieting. The gluten free diet, Atkins diet, the South Beach diet, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, the Cookie diet and the list goes on and on. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1/3rd of our adult population is obese, and thus the bombardment of weight loss diets in our media. Research has shown repeatedly that weight loss will help to  lower the cost of medical bills due to obesity complications, thus reducing the burden on our healthcare system. So I understand the need for educating our society on  how to lose weight, but enough already!

It's obvious that people want to hear about weight loss, and thus the constant earful, but I'm tired of it! I'm tired of hearing how refined sugars are bad for you. I'm tired of hearing that you should only consume whole wheat breads, rice and pasta. I'm tired of being told that I should cut out gluten, when if you don't have Celiac disease or an allergy to gluten, your body needs it! I'm tired of hearing not to eat too many fruits because they are high in sugar. I'm tired of it all! What am  I supposed to eat then? That's right, Cliff's Huxtable's lettuce salad with a little lemon juice squeezed on top. That's fine for a first course, but what about dinner and dessert?

After having my Sweet Pea and gaining quite a bit of weight I was able to take off the poundage by cutting out sweets and white starches.  The weight came off quickly and by six months I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I still stuck to the same diet, but eased up on the restriction of sweets and white starches, I didn't eat it regularly, but did indulge from deprivation.  Going into pregnancy with Bambino, knowing how much weight I gained the first time around, I was conscious with what I ate to make sure I stayed healthy. And then after he was born I went back to the same diet of eliminating sweets and white starches to lose the weight and this time around it came off even quicker.
And now with Bambino a year old, I feel like I have been in a diet mode for about three years now. I'm always in fear of gaining weight and thus restricting myself from eating white foods and foods that are high in fat. But the result of that is when I do have a bit of something that is allegedly not so good for me, I go into overdrive and gorge. So isn't that just counter intuitive to restricting myself?

And I'm a healthy person. I exercise regularly and my diet revolves around lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. My blood work always comes out clean, no cholesterol issues or elevated blood pressure. No vitamin deficiencies, at every physical my doctor tells me I'm healthy, so why am I living in deprivation mode?

Enough, I tell you, enough! I'm tired of going to get frozen yogurt with the kids and not indulging because I don't need a snack mid day that is filled with sugar. Enough not having a hand full of goldfish with the kids only to sneak a large bowl after they go to bed in shame. I say enough!

I want to enjoy life and I want to enjoy food with my family. I want to get popcorn and have some with the kids without feeling guilty or shame when I consume the whole box! Moderation, that's my new motto. I'm going to eat white bread when I make fresh ciabatta bread from the breadmaker. I'm going to eat white pasta and a couple of goldfish with the kids, I'm just not going to  push myself to the point of gorging off of the whole bag! Moderation, that's the key. Having a little bit here and there for that satisfaction so that later on there isn't an urge to consume large quantities.

And so I may gain a couple of pounds by gaining that satiety, but when it comes down to it, who cares? Why do I need to be at a thinner weight? If all my blood work is healthy and I'm not in an obese or overweight state, what does five pounds matter? I'm not an athlete, model nor Hollywood star, my body appearance doesn't affect my career. And the most important career for me is being a wife and mother and I know my family will love me with a little extra meat on my bones, especially if it means I'm  happy and making happy memories around food. 

Link

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the tips "Breaking the Chains of Deprivation Diets!"

    ReplyDelete