Monday, May 13, 2013

Baked Corn Dogs


You may be thinking that these two words are quite the oxymoron, baked and corn dogs  At least that was Hubby's initial reaction was when I said I wanted to find a baked corn dog recipe, "Aren't they always fried?" he asked. I don't have much of a relationship with corn dogs,  perhaps I ate them as a child, but as a vegetarian for the last 15 years, I have no corn dog in my carnivorous lexicon and so I went hunting for a recipe for baked corn dogs.

Why all the excitement over a hot dog covered in bread that is deep fried? Apparently mini turkey corn dogs were served at school and Sweet Pea gobbled them up. (I used to pack her lunch religiously, but she would rarely eat it so I tried offering her a school lunch and what do you know, she ate her whole plate, minus the green beans.) And so the search for a healthy corn dog was under way.

I did some research and there were quite a few recipes out there, apparently I'm not the only baked corn dog obsessed person on the planet. I decided on a recipe I came across on a diabetic living website. I was going to half the recipe and only make three dogs, but Hubby said that he could easily eat four. "Um, ok," I say, a little shocked and disgusted at the same time.

So I made the baked corn dogs and surprisingly it was really easy to make! I was worried that when I dipped the hot dogs into the batter the batter would slither all over the place, but the batter was thick enough that it stayed stuck to the dog, yay! I proved all those naysayers wrong. By all those naysayers I mean Hubby who asked how you could bake a corn dog. Just eat your four baked corn dogs, Buddy.

Here we go into the oven...
Just minimal slithering, as you can see.

And out of the oven, perfection at it's finest! (No, I wasn't being sarcastic.)

Overall the baked corn dogs were a big hit, Hubby happily ate four with some brown mustard and Sweet Pea ate two. She actually enjoyed the freshly baked corn breading more than the hot dogs! I tried a bit of the corn coating and must say that it tasted like corn muffins. Hot dog and corn muffins...is this where I'm supposed to say yum?

Click here for the original recipe

Ingredients
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt (I upped this to closer than 1 teaspoon)
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon oil (Don't up this or then you will have some slithering, it happened to me the second time I made this recipe.)
6 wooden skewers
6 hot dogs

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Mix together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, dry mustard and salt. In a separate bowl mix together milk, egg and oil. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir.

3. Spray an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet with cooking spray. Take a hot dog and insert wooden skewer. Coat hot dog with batter. I used a spatula and spread it over the hot dog, it seemed to work well.

4. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake 14 to 16 minutes until the batter appears golden brown.

5. Voila, you  have baked corn dogs!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
The hardest part of the whole recipe is coating the hot dog with the batter, I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it took me awhile to ensure there were no holes where you could see hot dog. (But obviously from the above picture there still were.) Otherwise, pretty easy.

Oh, and I don't think the leftovers reheat as well, as seen by Sweet Pea's face when she took one bite of the reheated corn dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment