Monday, May 20, 2013

Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffins


Last Thursday was my Bambino's first birthday so it was of utmost importance that he had some kind of cake to blow out a candle and devour! Since his party was on Saturday (Thus the reason I have not had time to blog!) and  my parents  ordered a tiered Mickey Mouse cake, I didn't want to make an entire other cake and so I went looking for muffin recipes. I thought of chocolate chip muffins because it's kind of like cake, but actually a muffin.

I Googled the words chocolate chip muffin and the first recipe that showed up was Nigela Lawson's Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins from the Food Network. It was simple and somewhat healthy minus the cocoa powder and chocolate chips, but not a horrendous amount of sugar and vegetable oil so that's the recipe I went with.

And can I tell you how much I love Nigela Lawson? I discovered a cooking show of hers years ago on PBS and fell in infatuation. With her sweet, British accent and her ability to cook. So of course I had to make a Nigella recipe! She's like the English version of Giada, or Giada is the Italian American version of hers, whatever, you know what I mean. Just another reason to make the muffins!


Overall the muffins came out pretty well, I enjoyed them. There were a lot of reviewers that said the recipe was bland and that it needed something more. Personally, I think they thought this was a cake recipe, and if you have the expectations that you are biting into a cupcake, then not it is not as moist and fluffy. But if you think of it as a light muffin, then it's actually more of a decadent muffin!

Hubby, Sweet Pea, Bambino and I all enjoyed the muffins on Wednesday, but after I frosted a couple on Wednesday night and refrigerated them over night, the results weren't so great. After we sang happy birthday Bambino just looked perplexed. He knocked the muffin upside down and just stared at it. I cut it up for him and he continued to just stare at it. Then I threw some cheerios on his plate to determine if he wasn't hungry or just didn't care for the muffin. Well, apparently he was mighty  hungry with how he stealthily found all the cheerios in between the muffin crumbs.

Lesson learned? Nigella's Chocolate Chocolate-Chip muffins do not taste good refrigerated over night, they harden. Otherwise, great recipe!

Click here fro Nigella's recipe.

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup milk
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Sift flour with baking powder and soda. Add in cocoa powder, sugar and chocolate chips.

3. In a separate bowl mix together milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla.

4. Mix two bowls together.

5. Pour into greased cupcake tins and bake, about 20 minutes or so until muffins are dark and rise.

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
This is a really easy, straight forward recipe for muffins. And considering muffins usually include some fruit that has to be cleaned, peeled, chopped or blended, this makes it even easier.

Good stuff people, easy, yummy and somewhat healthy. I say make it! But don't frost it and put it in the fridge overnight, apparently even sugar obsessed toddlers don't care for it.

Images
Nigella Lawson and Mario Batalli

No comments:

Post a Comment